• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old/new Disney patches

jbmilart

Haven't posted in awhile... but have new photos of some Disney patches that I've been working on. The first series of photos are the newest 47th B.S. patches. I've sold my last two patches in a week and Sean has sold out of his supply of 47th patches and is making more before his move to Nevada. Don't know why the 47th is such a popular patch... but I'm not going to complain! There are some slight improvements in these newer 47th patches, but are still pretty stock looking.

001-13_zpsf80dbccb.jpg

002-10_zps777366e8.jpg

009-1_zpsc7cb997d.jpg

These photos are the 4th patch I've done of the 47th B.S. The next photos are of #5 of the 47th B.S.

003-6_zpsd68fadac.jpg

010-1_zpsa9825554.jpg

Not much difference between the two patches... I can almost do these with my eyes closed!

The next series of photos are of Disney's 72nd Fighter Squadron patch. There are two versions of this patch that I've found... one has a yellow orange color to it's boarder and the other has an orange color boarder. So I did both versions.

004-5_zps75aef102.jpg

005-2_zps4087a3e7.jpg

006-3_zpscda7cd88.jpg

007_zpsdc39d272.jpg

008-1_zps8241799d.jpg

I have several projects in the works right now... more Disney patches like the 26th Fighter Squadron, the 2nd Fighter Squadron "commando". I'm also working on the 93rd Bombardment Squadron patch as well. I'll try to post more photos as I finish these projects...

Jim

EMBLEMHUNTER

I guess you may know the "Scalpers" was also used by the 45th Pursuit/Fighter Squadron of the 15th Fighter Group, the 72nd was with the 21st FG
Great work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

unclegrumpy

jbmilart said:
There are two versions of the 72nd Fighter Squadron patch that I've found... one has a yellow orange color to it's boarder and the other has an orange color boarder.
Wow, these patches are beautiful!

Over the years, the only version of the 72nd FS that I have seen that were in groups or on jackets is like this US made fully embroidered patch below....now I'll have to start looking now to see if the borders are consistently the same shade of yellow/orange :

6fb48cc20.jpg

jbmilart

Thanks fellas... I try to keep the patches as close to the original as possible, although I do take some "artistic" liberties when painting these patches. Unclegrumpy is correct in a way... in saying that there was only one boarder color on this 72nd F.S. patch. I made a mistake in the "orange" colored boarder on the second patch. My printer was running out of color ink when I downloaded a photo showing a patch with looked like a orange boarder. This is not acceptable... and I should have caught it sooner! :oops: I don't want to mislead anyone in my artwork and thanks to Unclegrumpy for catching my mistake. I have an original Disney patch artwork photo of the 72nd F.S. (yes... I did change the color ink cartridge in the printer)... the photo shows me a "yellow orange" boarder. Might not be what was put into service... but it was what Disney invisioned it to be. The photo here, is that image of the patch I used to do the artwork.

001-13_zps5f21ba07.jpg

I hope there are no copyright lawyers out there... :roll: You guys have the best combined information on this subject, and I value your knowledge... Anyone want to buy a slightly off colored 72nd patch... cheap... :lol:

Jim

unclegrumpy

It is really interesting to see the changes the wartime patch maker made to the original design....and the details they left out!

a2jacketpatches

jbmilart said:
Thanks fellas... I try to keep the patches as close to the original as possible, although I do take some "artistic" liberties when painting these patches. Unclegrumpy is correct in a way... in saying that there was only one boarder color on this 72nd F.S. patch. I made a mistake in the "orange" colored boarder on the second patch. My printer was running out of color ink when I downloaded a photo showing a patch with looked like a orange boarder. This is not acceptable... and I should have caught it sooner! :oops: I don't want to mislead anyone in my artwork and thanks to Unclegrumpy for catching my mistake. I have an original Disney patch artwork photo of the 72nd F.S. (yes... I did change the color ink cartridge in the printer)... the photo shows me a "yellow orange" boarder. Might not be what was put into service... but it was what Disney invisioned it to be. The photo here, is that image of the patch I used to do the artwork.

001-13_zps5f21ba07.jpg

I hope there are no copyright lawyers out there... :roll: You guys have the best combined information on this subject, and I value your knowledge... Anyone want to buy a slightly off colored 72nd patch... cheap... :lol:

Jim
Jeez, don't pucker up too much guys, a minor color shade variation pales in comparison to the adjustments made on a lot of theater made originals. And as unclegrumpy says, details are left out from the original Disney design anyway. "Artistic liberties" is what it's all about unless you are claiming to make an exact replica. That's why I'm in the business, I can do whatever I want within reason just like they did back in the day.

a2jacketpatches

91stbombgroup said:
a2jacketpatches said:
Perfectly imperfect, like a very talented human painted it.
I thought he was a Romulan.
Human as opposed to the look of laser printed Photo shop perfection, a talented Romulan being a carbon based life form would probably render this image with similar results. I always encourage my padawans to incorporate some human element into their work. Jim is a master, the highlights, line work, and artistic twist, all work together as a piece of art rather than a technical drawing.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Good he's not one of those Dam Green blooded Vulcans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Highly "Illogical" ................................

A

Anonymous

a2jacketpatches said:
jbmilart said:

001-13_zps5f21ba07.jpg

Jim
Jeez, don't pucker up too much guys, a minor color shade variation pales in comparison to the adjustments made on a lot of theater made originals. And as unclegrumpy says, details are left out from the original Disney design anyway. "Artistic liberties" is what it's all about unless you are claiming to make an exact replica. That's why I'm in the business, I can do whatever I want within reason just like they did back in the day.