Old CWU 36/P

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by MikeyB-17, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, this I'd the first flight jacket I've bought in quite a while. I'm a fan of CWU jackets, having owned several, but mostly 45/P's. The only 36 I had I didn't bond with and sold it on, but that was a newer non-bi-swing version. Saw this older one on EBay cheap, so I nabbed it. It's certainly had some use, with stitch holes for rank insignia and other patches, but it's still quite serviceable. The zip has been replaced, with non-matching thread, but with a military Scovill, which I suspect may have been done on base. I like to think it may have done some flying. Label is hard to read, but it appears identical to the 1980 Center in 'Suit up!' Getting a fair bit of use at the moment, and surprisingly warm for the lightweight version.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

Looks really smart Mike. Wouldn't mind one of those myself.

3. MikeyB-17

It's only the second bi-swing 36/P I've ever come across Peter, that's why I couldn't resist it. I love CWU's, very comfortable and practical jackets, my favourite wear-on-the-way-to-work jackets. The 45/P will come into play when it gets colder.

4. colekwok

colekwok Active Member

I think I have a bi-swing 36/p in my storage, let me take some pictures for you guys later on. Yes, the CWU jackets are indeed very practical.

MikeyB-17 likes this.
  5. colekwok

colekwok Active Member

6. B-Man2

B-Man2 Active Member

Mikey B 17
    The 36/p is a good solid jacket. Yours looks great in you. Best part is you can pick them up for cheap money.

MikeyB-17 likes this.
  7. MikeyB-17

Thank B-Man, it’s had plenty of wear since I got it, but the 45/P has taken over now, it’s getting chilly!
    Colekwok, sorry I meant to reply to you, I think the zipper may be a replacement, the ones in ‘Suit up!’ Have all got the brass ones with big pullers, which is what both of mine have had.

8. colekwok

colekwok Active Member

Mikey, thanks for your reply. Anyway, that was what I suspected. But I must say the person did a really good job in replacing the zips. I can't find any obvious stitch holes at all at the seams.