• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh Those Zippers...

Tommer45

So not only is it bad enough that my wife busts my chops about how I paid nearly a grand for my LW that doesn't even fit me right, but then this happens the other night and now she really gives it to me...

photo.jpg

Tommer

You know, people on this forum bash YKK zippers all the time but I replace all my busted zippers with YKK and it's the last zipper I have to ever buy. They last forever. I haven't had one fail on me yet. Just my $0.02.

Falcon_52

Now, I'm getting really nervous about my Lost Worlds B-2 Talon repro zipper. It's nowhere near as heavy duty as the one you have, Tommer. I'm going to be extra careful from now on. That really sucks!

Noel

A

Anonymous

I know. I have a lewis leathers that has a bomb proof lighting zip. Well made strong zip. The G/B zips work great. never had a problem.

My Talon feels like its going to break any time now. What do you expect from a 60 year old zipper. ELC site even warns you that they are not as strong as mod zips.

Tommer45

I gotta agree with Sealbeachbum.. the best two zippers that are on my leathers are the heavy duty YKK on my Wested and the Scovill on my Langlitz. Never had a zipper get stuck or malfunction like my Talons have. But the Talons have something the other zippers don't have... a really cool name!

Tommer

I have an old LAPD/CHP jacket with a talon zip (that would be working but the cloth has torn). What do you all suggest for a replacement.. I was thinking another talon but.. well.. what can it be swapped with that looks pretty 'correct' and would last?

greyhound52

Ouch that sucks. I had a crown do that almost cried. I agree the YKK works and works and works. Of course you are right talons are cool.

Tommer45

I didn't start this thread to trash Talons.. this was the first time the zipper on my LW ever malfunctioned. But I have noticed that most of my Talons are a bit stickier than any other zips of mine. In Talon's defense I bought my 1 year old a jacket and it had a Talon! Worked fine until she eventually grew out of it.

Tommer

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tommer45 said:
... I have noticed that most of my Talons are a bit stickier than any other zips of mine.

Talons just seem to need a little more frequent candle waxing than others, and then they're fine.

There doesn't appear to be much wrong with the one in the photo either ... just slightly close the slider.

Though it's scary if you're trapped inside. :shock:

OneEyeMan

So, Tommer, what happened to the zipper.
Did you send it back to Lost Worlds for replacement?
Details man, we need details! :D
Lenny

Tommer45

OneEyeMan said:
So, Tommer, what happened to the zipper.
Did you send it back to Lost Worlds for replacement?
Details man, we need details! :D
Lenny

The zipper is so heavy duty that it took both my father and I to coax it back down to the starting position, and then work the male end out. It hasn't malfunctioned since so hopefully it was just a one time thing. The teeth are all fine so I'll just go on using it.

Tommer