• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

officer pinks

A

Anonymous

Do you guys like officer pinks?
Do you have any interest in them?

Anyone has ELC officer pinks?
Are they wearable? (or only in Halloween?, or re-enacting?)

I have an excellent original example (best I 've ever seen) that I can copy and can do it with great accuracy (it's easier than the A-2).

Anybody cares for pants? (even if they could be a little expensive?)

Persimmon

I have ELC "pink" trousers

What I would want is the trousers in Green,
More pratical to wear out on the streets for me but of course the same cut

If you made them I would buy

better duck

I have 'm and I love 'm. High quality build, beautifully made. Heavy cloth (wool) and quite 'prickly'. I'd say winterwear only, in summer it'd be a sauna.
They have an old fashioned high waist.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yep, I like them ... go for it !!

... and although the greens may not be pink, they would be good too. ;)

Dr H

Thank you, that wouldn't sound too pricey for quality trousers, unless hit with duty.

tom james

ARE YOU LOOKING AT PRODUCING ANY "CLASS A" WEAR IN CHOCOLATE? PROPER SHADE SEEMS VERY HARD TO FIND IN LARGER SIZES.

capt71

In the era they were referred to as "Pinks & Greens". The "pink" shirt was worn with the "green" jacket and "pink" trousers. Don't remember if there was a "green" trouser variation. My Dad said that everyone really liked that color combo and were all pretty sad when it was eventually replaced with the Air Force "tans" then the "blues".

The b/w (sorry, no color) photo below was taken circa 1943/44, when it was still the AAC. You can just see the trousers at the bottom of the jacket. You can just see the 5th Air Force patch on his left shoulder.
5713119557_cfdcd600a4.jpg

Bill

watchmanjimg

capt71 said:
In the era they were referred to as "Pinks & Greens". The "pink" shirt was worn with the "green" jacket and "pink" trousers. Don't remember if there was a "green" trouser variation. My Dad said that everyone really liked that color combo and were all pretty sad when it was eventually replaced with the Air Force "tans" then the "blues".

There was definitely a green (Olive Drab Shade 51, or "chocolate") trouser variation, and while I wouldn't hazard a guess as to any AAF-specific regulation (or more likely, unit custom) governing its wear with the 4-pocket tunic I'd say there's little doubt that the pinks (Olive Drab Shade 54) were much more popular. Also, the pinks-and-greens combination was authorized as a winter semi-dress uniform for Army officers during the postwar transition to Army Green. However, the green trousers were very commonly worn with the "Ike" jacket during WW2. I realize it's not a period photo, but here's my original "chocolate" OD Ike and trouser combo:

VAEvent-1.jpg

capt71

There's a fairly decent color photo here of the pinks/greens uniform and some information:

http://www.alliedflightgear.com/USAAF%20uniforms.html

The one shown there has a belted jacket, whereas, the one I posted has no belt.

By the way, in my original post with the photo, I said "while it was still the AAC". I should have said "while it was still the USAAF". Sorry for the mistake. :oops:

Bill

watchmanjimg

capt71 said:
There's a fairly decent color photo here of the pinks/greens uniform and some information:

http://www.alliedflightgear.com/USAAF%20uniforms.html

The one shown there has a belted jacket, whereas, the one I posted has no belt.

By the way, in my original post with the photo, I said "while it was still the AAC". I should have said "while it was still the USAAF". Sorry for the mistake. :oops:

Bill

The OD Shade 51 tunic was specifically designed for wear with a self-fabric belt, so your photo depicts an atypical method of wear. I hadn't noticed this at first so I appreciate your pointing it out.

Regarding the AAC/AAF abbreviation, I'd say that either is appropriate as Army Air Corps remains fairly common terminology. Certainly there's no need to apologize. :D

capt71

watchmanjimg said:
The OD Shade 51 tunic was specifically designed for wear with a self-fabric belt, so your photo depicts an atypical method of wear. I hadn't noticed this at first so I appreciate your pointing it out. Regarding the AAC/AAF abbreviation, I'd say that either is appropriate as Army Air Corps remains fairly common terminology. Certainly there's no need to apologize. :D

It could very well be that dad had removed the belt before the photo was taken. It looks to be a relaxed, possibly family, environment, so maybe he decided in favor of comfort instead of formality? I can see Captain's bars on the shoulders, so that would have made this photo from 1944, after he had returned Stateside from the S.W. Pacific theater.

Andrew

Great photo of your Dad Bill. I reckon he would've been popular with the Laydies over here, at least in Brisbane before going bush.... :cool: (Yep, I know he was married...)
Btw, I'm not sure you've done it before, but any chance you could take some more descriptive shots of your Dad's A-2 and post a new thread. Would love to see it in detail.

fishmeok

Platon- any chance of making them in diffrent fabrics? I have several pairs and they are the best fittting and looking trousers I have- the material and color limits the usefulness however. I can make jackets, but trousers are beyond me...

I know Indy Magnoli does something similar:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/clothin ... 90_25.html

Bob- I noticed that the bottom button on your fathers' blouse is gold, same as the others. On tunics with the cloth or Sam Brown belt that button is flat dark plastic (like on an M43 field jacket) to go under the belt. My guess is that it was deliberately modified (that's the sort of thing that drives collectors nuts, with a several million man Army there no specifics, just broad generalizations...) Please do make a new post devoted to him as metioned above. We would all love to see more.

Cheers
Mark

capt71

Andrew said:
Great photo of your Dad Bill. I reckon he would've been popular with the Laydies over here, at least in Brisbane before going bush.... :cool: (Yep, I know he was married...)
Btw, I'm not sure you've done it before, but any chance you could take some more descriptive shots of your Dad's A-2 and post a new thread. Would love to see it in detail.
Thanks Andrew, but no comment on what the guys did or did not do while "Down Under" (like I would really know--or tell if I did! ;))
I'm posting a couple more photos here of my dad in that uniform. No belt on his coat here either. I did some internet research, but couldn't find anything about the particular jacket he's wearing in these. I'm sure it wasn't deliberately modified however.

The happy couple:
5722733945_6e360bd905.jpg

Official USAAF photo:
5723286196_39d7cf04a9.jpg

This one is of dad and 3 of his B-24 crew--just to show that while he was wearing the khaki shirt, the others were wearing the "choclolate" shirt, and one with brown trousers:
5722726205_1928972919.jpg

As for your request about the A-2 photos, I'll post some on the "vintage" forum. They include several that AeroLeather Scotland sent of their restoration of his A-2. If they all should be on the photo forum instead, please, mods, feel free to move them.

Bill

stanier

better duck said:
I have 'm and I love 'm. High quality build, beautifully made. Heavy cloth (wool) and quite 'prickly'. I'd say winterwear only, in summer it'd be a sauna.
They have an old fashioned high waist.

I have the ELC pinks too, and totally agree with everything better duck says. I've worn mine to re-enactment events in the summer and they were uncomfortable to say the least. I do, however wear them in the winter with some vintage cut boxer shorts (which are so long they act as lining!) and they are just the ticket. I wear mine to nice restaurants etc as well as re-enactment.

I've often wondered if these came in variable weights of cloth as I've got various 8th and 9th air force pics where the pinks are being worn in the height of (albeit English summer) summer.

I'd love another pair, but with a button fly please! And if there was a lighter weight option, in that too please!

Oh and please don't skimp to make em a bit cheaper! please make them spot on reproduction!

Cheers