• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not USAAF and no leather but what a good discovering

dujardin

John say that hard work pay tommorow. ;)
i say that hard work pay immediatly.
some explanation.
i was working hard this w-e to place new fence around my yard.
at some place i'm now +- 80 cm deeper.
so, i had to work hard to egalise the ground and the result is good but most important, is not the result of my work but what happen during it.
as amazing as it could be, i discover a good old watch; one of those we call in french ''montre à gousset'' ; i think it approximately ''pocket watch'' in english.
she was into rocks in a small metallic box, this box is well roosted but he protect good the watch.
the watch have nothing, she is in great condition regarding to his stay outside for decennies.
here come some photos, sorry, as everytime they are of poor quality due to my small camera.

PICT0091.jpg

PICT0090-1.jpg

PICT0089-1.jpg

PICT0088-1.jpg

PICT0087-1.jpg

PICT0086-1.jpg

PICT0085-1.jpg

name of the maker : Hubart Palisoul
where : Statte (it's a small village close from here)
and different serial n° and personnal inscription not easy to read - Stafsie Stony - arrite

so, hope to find a B17 next time. :lol:

byebyeeeeeeeee marcel

T-Bolt

That is a really nice find, Marcel. I have never had that much good luck at finding objects. Thanks for posting those photos of your "pocket Watch". And by the way.....pocket watch is exactly the correct descriptive name for that type of watch.

Ted

chrgod2

Really cool find. I have the feeling that old pocket watches are coming slightly into fashion again. Maybe an effect of the big-watch trend. However, there are still so many of them around that most watches are not likely to rise in value.

Maybe this was buried during WW1 or 2?

I hope you will take it to a watchmaker and have it refurbished. These are simple mechanics, so it should hopefully not be expensive to repair, as long as the internals have not rusted and balance wheel is still working. :) I see that this version needs a winding key?

dujardin

i'm sure at 95 % that she still working .
i have not the key in my house, i have to go to my old house where i have one.
as soon as i try and of course have a result, i will let you know.
i'm also not sure but i think that the mechanism is in gold. is it possible ?????
when i get time, i will go to a jewelry (someone of trust) to have an expertise and a little cleaning of the silver and replacing the glass.

byebyeeeeeeeee marcel

MikeyB-17

Fantastic find-it definitely needs taking to an expert for a proper clean and restoration (and valuation!). Wonder what it was doing buried in a box like that? There's a story there somewhere.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dujardin said:
i'm also not sure but i think that the mechanism is in gold. is it possible ?????

It will be gilt brass, Marcel .... because it's protected by the case, and not subject to wear, the plating will still be good, and it may still shine like new.

dujardin

John Lever said:
Marcel, do you think the rocks surrounding the box helped drainage and so kept away the water?

you are completely right John, where i found the watch, there were only rocks, NO mud.
she was just 4-5 cm under.

and yes Mickey, there is certainly a story. but which one ???
my imagination and fascination are still running.

where my house is build it's an old iron mine, gallery still exist deep in the ground, house of a neighbour is the old exploitation center.
and some place of the area remain dangerous.
periodically, they are gents coming for inspection of the ground.

also, the regio were in the past mostly devotted to farmer.

so, is it an old farmer worker, a guy from the mine, simply the ancient resident, don't know ??????

i will take a photo of the box who preserved the watch and also of the chain that i found +- 30 min later.

see you next

marcel

dujardin

here we goooooooooo,

PICT0112-2.jpg

PICT0111-2.jpg

PICT0113-1.jpg

a little bit better i hope
PICT0115-2.jpg

now the metallic box,
PICT0106.jpg

PICT0107.jpg