• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not exactly vintage

jdj

Here's a jacket I recently purchased from San Diego Leather. I was on a budget and in a hurry. This is their first attempt at a similar offering to the Highwayman. It weighs in around 5lbs and the steerhide is thick and has a nice grain. They made this from a picture and a phone call. It is nothing like their standard cowhide, however their standard leather is quite nice.http://www.flickr.com/photos/36920064@N ... otostream/

Sorry about the pics as photography is not my hobby, this thing looks much better than these photos.

bobjones

Given how cheap Aero is now b/c of the exchange rate, I find it hard to believe that for $550 or so, most/if not all cannot afford to buy the real thing.

mazeta

bobjones said:
Given how cheap Aero is now b/c of the exchange rate, I find it hard to believe that for $550 or so, most/if not all cannot afford to buy the real thing.
Isn't Aero's more expensive Highwayman also based on an older design?

bobjones

mazeta said:
bobjones said:

Aero is the original maker of the Highwayman, and to my knowledge have never changed the design spec:

USA Site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aero-USA-EDITION-HI ... m153.l1262

Scotland factory site:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... prodid=769

The Aero is offered in FQHH and several other hide choices, I ordered one a few weeks back in brown FQHH, though some have sworn by the "vintage" FQHH which is rolled more in the tannery to soften the hide.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
mazeta said:

Yes, it was based on an older design. When Aero opposed Lewis Leathers application to register the Highwayman trademark, it was described as follows:

9. Mr Calder says that the company sells a vintage styled leather motorbike jacket under the name HIGHWAYMAN, that was designed, and first sold in 1983.

A

Anonymous

So, in this case the Lewis Leathers, was/is, the real thing, and the Aero is the copy ?

bobjones

deeb7 said:
wing nut said:
So, in this case the Lewis Leathers, was/is, the real thing, and the Aero is the copy ?

I used the quote to illustrate that Aero themselves described the style as vintage.

The case was about the Highwayman trademark, Lewis Leathers had used the name much earlier, but it had lapsed, and Aero were successful.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-f ... o21605.pdf

I read the PDF so unless I misread it or missed something, it said that L&L alluded to making such a jacket earlier, as far back as the 1960s, but there was no evidence of it.

"24. The applicants (L&L) claim to have owned the trade mark THE HIGHWAYMAN since 1986, and
through the use of the mark by previous owners, to have acquired goodwill through various
assignments dating back to 1968. They also make reference to a trade mark registered in the
1960s. The applicants have not filed any evidence whatsoever, let alone evidence of having ever carried on a trade in any goods or services under the HIGHWAYMAN badge, or that shows any transfer of goodwill to them from another trader. Notwithstanding that they may have previously been recorded as the proprietor of a registration for the mark in question, I must proceed on the basis that the mark that they seek to register was, at the time of making the application, an unused mark, and that as far as these proceedings are concerned, the relevant date is the date on which the application to register the trade mark was made."

According to this paragraph, it would appear that L&L may never have sold a jacket called "Highwayman", though perhaps some of our more "seasoned" forum participants whose memory extends that far could shed some light on the issue.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bobjones said:
deeb7 said:
I used the quote to illustrate that Aero themselves described the style as vintage.

I read the PDF so unless I misread it or missed something, it said that L&L alluded to making such a jacket earlier, as far back as the 1960s, but there was no evidence of it.

As I said above, Bob ... I was merely using the quote to agree with Mazeta, that the Highwayman was a traditional vintage style, rather than a completely original creation.

I wasn't arguing the merits of the case, in fact I pointed out that Aero's application was successful.

There was, however, an earlier British Highwayman company. Here's an example of the label, attached to traditional tartan lining.

112400141.jpg

bobjones

deeb7 said:
bobjones said:
deeb7 said:
There was, however, an earlier British Highwayman company. Here's an example of the label, attached to traditional tartan lining.

112400141.jpg

That's quite interesting.. which leads to the $64K question - was this the jacket Aero used to create their "Highwayman" in 1983? Were they out of existence by 1983 when Aero started making theirs?

I am going to research this company you mention...this is getting interesting, perhaps as intriguing and laden with subterfuge as the original Indy jacket. If you really want to beat your head into a cement wall, go to club-obi wan and read up on that one :cry:

jdj said:
Here's a jacket I recently purchased from San Diego Leather. I was on a budget and in a hurry. This is their first attempt at a similar offering to the Highwayman. It weighs in around 5lbs and the steerhide is thick and has a nice grain. They made this from a picture and a phone call. It is nothing like their standard cowhide, however their standard leather is quite nice.http://www.flickr.com/photos/36920064@N ... otostream/

Sorry about the pics as photography is not my hobby, this thing looks much better than these photos.
Nice jacket! I like it!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bobjones said:
That's quite interesting.. which leads to the $64K question - was this the jacket Aero used to create their "Highwayman" in 1983?

No, they just used the name ... I don't believe that Aero copied any individual earlier jacket.