• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickle & Dime / Jacket Art for Sean Foster

a2jacketpatches

Thought to show this as a little demo, it's been going on a while but the finishing touches will all come together over the next week and I'll photograph as it progresses. These first photos show the galvanized steal sheet cut to a basic torso shape just big enough for any jacket back artwork and small enough to fit any size jacket. In other words, the size of a small jacket is still about right for art on a large size jacket.

The black clips are used to hold the jacket tightly in place and the small leather pieces will prevent any crushing of the leather. Once a mark is made it is near impossible to remove. Very much like the impression of a tightly stitched patch that's been removed, you'll never get rid of the ring it leaves. Before mounting the jacket, I heat pressed the back on low for a few minutes to get it as flat as possible. Then I soaked a rag in auto body prep-solve and wiped the area to be painted. It'll remove a little of the finish but not very much. All I'm trying to do is remove some surface oils. Cheap dinner napkins are great for this, no lint and they absorb the prep-solve and contaminants that it dissolves.

Notice the two yellow bars, they are super strong magnet bar tool holders. I mounted them to this wooden circle that spins on a bolt in the center. The spinning allows me to access any part of the painting to be at eye and hand level. I've trained myself over the years to paint upside down sideways, whatever, so to paint any area of the design just by spinning it around. The metal torso plate is simply stuck to the magnets to hold the jacket in place. This metal torso plate serves two purposes, I also have hundreds of small drywall screws with tiny but very strong rare earth magnets epoxied to them for holding stencils firmly in place, they are strong enough to hold cardboard stencil over the leather and liner of the jacket and then some. What you see is the initial blocked in base colors for the design that I sprayed with an airbrush. As the painting progresses, you'll see how this is just a base coat to cover and hand painting will take over. A little bit of modern technique that will eventually look entirely hand painted. It allows me to completely cover the dark leather surface to be painted with a minimal amount of paint.

CBI

nice work but an awful lot of trouble. I just put a stack of picture books IN the jacket and maybe a few bath towels to get the jacket flat enough/tight enough for painting, this works for small to large sizes, with the jacket placed on my table, its easy to turn as needed. Cool info info from you any case!!!!!

a2jacketpatches

CBI said:
nice work but an awful lot of trouble. I just put a stack of picture books IN the jacket and maybe a few bath towels to get the jacket flat enough/tight enough for painting, this works for small to large sizes, with the jacket placed on my table, its easy to turn as needed. Cool info info from you any case!!!!!

Well my shop is set up to paint much more than a jacket now and then. It's a complete leather shop with stations dedicated to cutting leather, wing badge embossing and name tag station, an entire wall of leather hides and pre cut pieces, and the paint station. I'd post photos of the entire shop but much of it is TOP SECRET so if I showed ya I'd have to kill ya :lol: No really, lots of my techniques and special tools would be revealed and I prefer to keep most of it to myself.

The other side of the board holder is a spray booth complete with filter and powerful squirrel fans that completely eliminate overspray and the whole unit is on wheels. Moisture traps and multiple hoses with miniature quick connects for multiple airbrushes. I have a dental silent compressor and a silent air brand professional airbrush compressor pumping out 135 PSI. So to make the rest of a very long story short, you could hand me a jacket or pull up your motorcycle for a professional paint job, I'm ready for anything and have painted about everything at one point or another. What I've shown so far is simply a fast effective way to cover the bulk areas in a fraction of the time it would take to do as accurately with a brush. From this point forward, it'll be off the stand and hand detailed, cant speed that up. My speed methods are about the only thing allowing me to artwork of one kind or another for a living at home. It's not rocket science by any means, but I do remember the days when it was just a hobby using books and the kitchen table.

foster

YES!!! Getting excited, Sean!

The font is one available online and the name is of my own creation. Any resemblance to an original bomber name is purely coincidental.

a2jacketpatches

Using a transparent grey and opaque white, I start to detail the coin. Important to get the lettering in highlight so I don't lose it later.

Back and forth, white and gray, the coin is taking shape. I'm using a stipple method.

Coin is done, now starting on the 8th AF using transparent orange to bring out some simple details.

Done with the orange, Started out with full strength transparent orange then about a 50/50 mix with clear base extender to get a smooth transition into the yellow.

All done after touching up some highlights with the original opaque yellow, a dark brown used to line in the feather shapes, and application of my "SPECIAL SAUCE" for the light patina. Sean asked that this look WW2 period correct so I did my best to give a brush stroke look but at the same time using the convenience and speed of modern technology. Instead of multiple coats and a few hours of hand painting with oils, I cut a stencil and sprayed down the base coat in no time. From there it's all hand painted with brushes and the end result is not too perfect. I'm very happy with the results here and I'm sure Sean will be as well. He's here in Vegas now and will be picking up his jacket some time tomorrow.

a2jacketpatches

Thanks Dave, I know you're one of the guys that frowns on the airbrush stuff so had you in mind when doing this as well ;) You and Sean think along the same lines, I was actually happy to have such a freedom this time around.