• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Shanghai-Mayne

Lt. Wang , Finland Airforce, later 1940s or early 1950s.

He fought against soviet army as an infantryman.

IMG_7329.jpeg

flyincowboy

Yes !
Pics 1&2 are in 1952 in Dien-Bien-Phu and are members from the famous 6th BPC ( 6th Bataillon Para Coloniaux ) under Com. M. Bigeard.
The 3rd photo I need to compare with my photos to fond out.. My guess 1st BEP Foreign Legion during the RC4 fights.
Was not sure but looked general Bigeard to me. But recognised the french paratroopers uniform.

Pilot

Thanks for sharing and asking SM. Coincidentally, the fall of DBP, hence for France the loss of French Indochina to HCM and his communist partisans/maquisards and „regulars“ ( of what? ) all called „Vietminh „ is almost precisely 70 years old.

Last edited:

Pilot

Was not sure but looked general Bigeard to me. But recognised the french paratroopers uniform.
Well spotted!
Some wear the tenue de saut TAP 47/51 and Com. M.Bigeard the British WW2 SAS windproof suit.
Already in those years France was ruined ( depending on tax payers, foreign aid and a lot on US and British Leand Lease and German compensation de domages de guerres ) and fighting for lost causes..

Shanghai-Mayne

Thanks for sharing and asking SM. Coincidentally, the fall of DBP, hence for France the loss of French Indochina to HCM and his communist partisans/maquisards and „regulars“ ( of what? ) all called „Vietminh „ is almost precisely 70 years old.

DBP by Pierre Schoendoerffer is my most favorite French movie.

And it’s Vietminh, under commander of Gen.Giáp and his clandestine Chinese adviser group leader by Gen. Chen Gen. (second on the right)

IMG_7463.jpeg

Thomas Koehle

Yes !
Pics 1&2 are in 1952 in Dien-Bien-Phu and are members of the famous 6th BPC ( 6th Bataillon Para Coloniaux ) under Com. M. Bigeard.
The 3rd photo, I need to compare with my photos to find out.. My guess 1st BEP Foreign Legion during the RC4 fights.

Means regular troops but no Legionairs?

Am i right or do is see on most DBP-period photos legionairs still equipped with older american gear and a mixture of camo-uniforms from different nations - or was that earlier in the conflict?

Pilot

Means regular troops but no Legionairs?

Am i right or do is see on most DBP-period photos legionairs still equipped with older american gear and a mixture of camo-uniforms from different nations - or was that earlier in the conflict?
A mixture of everything ( everyone).
Legionnaires were the most and mostly volunteers from the WWII looser‘s nations.
However there were others, also French ( again many from the „Vichy“ Time ..).
Many elite units also participated.
Yes absolutely right.. a mixture of US, British, German, Japanese and Soviet weapons/gear/equiment can be seen since in use.
A lot of reused German weapons, Zeltbahn, ankle-shoes, backpacks, belts and rigging equipment was seeing again action.
…And … „die gute alte Tante Ju-52 „ and „der Storch Fi-156 „ were all over the places…
Plus a lot of other things.