• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newest acquisition... RAF Mk3 Aircrew Jacket

Griffon_301

20240116_150731.jpg

fit pics (if there's interest) once I am home...

Griffon_301

I tried it and really liked it, and for 120Euros, it's a good buy IMHO.
it's a size 7 so it fits trim on me and it won't be my cold weather jacket of choice, but as you said, for cool summers, it should work quite well...

Flightengineer

I tried it and really liked it, and for 120Euros, it's a good buy IMHO.
it's a size 7 so it fits trim on me and it won't be my cold weather jacket of choice, but as you said, for cool summers, it should work quite well...

Yes, it has a comfortable fit and practical pockets. This is the only jacket that has a scarf pocket! RAF is always something special :)

Griffon_301

I didn't know about the scarf pocket... the included hood is nice as is the fact that you can fasten it up right up to the nose while the collar folds upward an shields the face as well from wind and weather...
a really thought out design...

now, where do I find the scarf pocket?

B-Man2

i like the jacket but I can never figure out what size would best fit me .
Phil
What are your measurements ?

Griffon_301

the jacket is a size 7.
it is rather trim on me as said and given the choice I would have preferred a size 8 but these are not easy to come by in a reasonable condition, at least here.
so the size 7 it had to be.

for reference, I am 184cm tall, chest is about 102cm and I weigh a hefty 91kg.

my usual ELC jacket size is somewhere between 44 and 46 depending on the cut of the jacket.

the tag on the jacket gives an indication of the chest and height range of the respective jacket but it might depend on the Mod of the jacket as the surplus store had another MK3 as well in size 6 but this gave a bit different figures that seem not to correlate with my size 7....

Griffon_301

It is located in the collar. The edge of the collar is fastened with velcro.

I'm shorter and lighter than you and I'm also has size 7, it fits perfectly
length wise it is perfect for me as well, down at the waist it is rather trim with a warmer sweater underneath, but it is easily wearable nevertheless...
for a bulkier fit, a size 8 would be better though...

Griffon_301

Surplus store looks decent. There's not too many 'good' army/navy stores left anymore hardly.

that surplus store were I got the jacket from is a bit of a "cave". I paid a visit by accident as I was walking by and thought "why not" as I hadn't been in there for a long time.
they have lots of stuff, mostly European armies related but not well sorted.
I found original M-51 trousers liners besides current issue Austrian Army trousers and I pulled that RAF jacket from a hanger where next to it, a Danish Army jacket was hanging, followed by an old Austrian Feldjacke...
also surplus stores in my country have a reputation of attracting "certain" kinds of people and are therfor not very highly regarded here.

Dumpster D

Euro surplus was still circulating here 10 years ago, but it's all disappeared now, get it while you still can. I love the 'old world' charm of that kind of gear.

Griffon_301

Hello Thomas!

thank you for the compliment!
this jacket is my motivation now to continue with my weekly workout routines as it is a really trim fit and I would love to keep it a bit longer...

on a sidenote, I have seen that you got the G-1 I was viewing on the bay :)
how is it? I liked the patches on it very much.
when I saw it was gone I thought that it might have been someone I know...
I dowsed my grief with a hopefully nice BR Tank Jacket I found on Kleinanzeigen which should be arriving on Friday hopefully...