• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jackets and Revisions

CBI

I picked up this original size 44 Edmund Church M-422a for $150. The photos of the listing were not great. When the jacket arrived, it looked like a professional house painter had worn it full time! Paint (mostly white of course) all over it. It took a bit of time but with mineral spirits, acetone, leather dye and acrylic paint, I have removed about 90% of it. I will revisit the remaining 10% some other time. The jacket had been expertly restored when I bought it (albeit with little knowledge of historical accuracy on the previous owner’s part). New collar (black G-1 style), new lining, new heavy non spec knits and a YKK zipper. I had the collar replaced locally with the correct color mouton from Flight Suits/Gibson and Barnes. I actually really like the knits, they feel better than the real deals and the zip works fine so I will enjoy it as is unless/until something needs replacing. This is a very well-worn jacket which is what I prefer. Its been getting a lot of use. Edmund Church is an excellent maker. I prefer the fit to my original Willis and Geiger.

This is a very inexpensive Spearhead Militaria wool A-1. Its a well-constructed jacket that I think looks quite good. When it arrived, the sleeves were too long for me as well as being rather baggy. I had the sleeves shortened but the jacket still looked “off”. I when back to the tailors and had the sleeves shortened again, the sleeves tapered and the knits made a bit tighter around the wrist. I think that was/is the ticket and for a fraction of the cost of the BR/RM? version. This is even a good alternative to an ELC Thunderbird IMO.

The Good Wear Aero 21996 contract has been talked about recently. Here is mine after a year plus of real wear. I decided to use it the way it was meant as it were (minus the B-17 flights) so I did repairs in it, washed the car, yard work, daughter’s horse lessons, etc. I did get wet and I hung it up in the garage for a few days to dry. Its the dark russet but I have to say, it looks really red in these pics. FYI

bazelot

Great jacket, I particularly like the M-422A.
I actually recently picked up a Burjac (Ed Church became Burjac later in the war) ANJ3A in great condition also.

CBI

thanks.. I wish I had taken a before photo. LOTS of paint flecks everywhere and what looked like white/grey paint all over the bottom half of one sleeve.

Skip

Agree that Church is a winner, looks really great, and I'll bet its supremely comfortable. Great look and fit to the 21996, reckon its the only way to wear 'em.