• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New GW Monarch

blackrat2

Just arrived from John and Vickie is my new steer hide Monarch in dark seal.
The jacket is size 46 and the pattern is nice and trim.
Fitted with a Nos Talon puller.
As has been mentioned recently the use of steer hide in the manufacture of A2's and the fact John found a "branding" on the Monarch he used for his pattern.
From John,Monarchs tended to be russet but seal brown can also be found.
This one is sewn with olive green thread..which compliments the dark colour of this seal.
On examination,where there are sewn folds,such as on the arms you can really see the undercoat showing through,this in use time should make for a great patina.
The hide feels heavier than horse but as has been posted recently is softer to feel.
There is a huge amount of grain on the leather which I understand John saw locally and fell in love with,so purchased a limited quantity of steer.
The knits are dark brown and feel really robust.
John has replicated the pocket tag and his craftsmanship is as usual superb.
The fit is good on me and with the rotated sleeves the arms don't rise up.
I cannot say enough how good this steer hide is and having been in-touch with John I know he has a limited amount left.
Now to get some hard wear into the jacket and of course some pics wearing.
I will try and attach Johns pics to this post.
I know the dark seal won't be everyone's cuppa but when this baby gets some use I think the colour will lighten with the subtle undertones coming through.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/monarch_steerhide/

Roughwear

Very nice indeed John. The steer hide has much character and will only get better through wearing. The dark seal would be perfect for an Aero 21996. I have never seen a dark seal Monarch before and would love to see pictures of an original that is not a depot re-paint job. Enjoy your new jacket. :)

blackrat2

Thanks Andrew
I don't know if JC has some pics of a seal one or indeed anyone else on the forum but I did ask about the colour.

Steve H

Very nice jacket and I love the trimness of the style!

I'm coming around to the darker shades :twisted: , I used to be (still am) a fan of the russett but seal is looking better and better.

blackrat2

Thanks for the comments,the pics really don't do the jacket justice...John just keeps getting better IMHO...and the steer hide is worth considering...out of the box it is definitely softer...the grain is superb,assuming you like a grainy finish that is..colour wise it is dark but in the flesh there is a lot of undertones showing through which the pics can't capture...possible to see it a tad in the epaulette shots John took
Yep am very fortunate with this jacket

blackrat2

Yes those buggers had me for ££'s another stealth tax for us mugs to pay!
As I mentioned the colour won't be for everyone but like most of johns leather it changes in different lighting

ausreenactor

blackrat2 said:
As I mentioned the colour won't be for everyone but like most of johns leather it changes in different lighting

For a GBP600 + jacket you did alright!

The colours will be your responsibility now. How you wear and tear the Monarch will dictate the way it evolves. That
will be the fun part! Enjoy it...

Couchy

Marv

I do like the monarch and a fan of steer also but as all of my A2s have been seal some darker than others, I am moving more towards the lighter seal colour but still can't bring myself to move to russet though.

Very nice jacket indeed.....

ausreenactor

blackrat2 said:

Your indicated 36 quid worth of tax disappeared? What happened there? Weird? :?

Couchy

blackrat2

Couchy you asked a question about tax and three quarters of the way through my night shift I answered incorrectly what I paid so I edited it...sorry I thought the post was about my Monarch not cost of export or price of the jacket which has been mentioned in an earlier thread when you kicked off, has nothing to do with you.
I don't agree with customs clearance,that I always get clobbered with customs charges, as probably in reality a minority of packages really get checked but all get charged.
I factor in the price when I purchase a jacket but it is a pain paying it especially as I seem to pay tax on pretty much everything....I assume your country is the same and you would get tax on a purchase from John but the reality is I would still have a GW over a ELC and before I get jumped on for that I have owned at one time four of there jackets.
If you don't like GW then don't read my posts,I generally always put GW in the heading....stop being the next Saunders and enjoy other people's happiness.

blackrat2

Paul...thanks it is a sweet pattern and yes very dark but I think that initial dark colour will wear through fairly readily to the lighter undertones with some good use

Steve another night to do then a quick turn around before more nights next Fri n Sat...will try but don't know if I will see my partner to get any done this week..!!

ausreenactor

I take a look at all the newer jackets in order to see the different hides that are coming out now, and the standard is getting higher and higher. I was then commenting on how great your jacket was? I am set to head off for a six month tax free jaunt and I am keen to divest myself of some older benchmark items that have now been surpassed as the minimum standard. I am keen to invest in some new jackets. It is easy to go through the old posts; however, the more recent the jacket, the easier it is to gauge the current standard.

I asked a question, then I noticed you had revised the your response. I just thought it strange. Your response is somewhat more puzzling?

Anybody shipping a GW in would be in the same boat. When I was importing Aeros I was paying duties of over $200. Our Customs guys factored in the cost of shipping too, which obviously added to the total. I expect I would be paying duties on a retail GW or Bill Kelso too...

No one here will jump on your for regarding a GW above all others. For A-2s that is the norm, and deservedly so. As stated twice, and for a third time, enjoy breaking in your amazing GW...

Couchy

blackrat2

From speaking with John via Vickie and my own observations,it is softer straight out of the box and should wear the same...apparently hh can get stiff when old but steer won't...anyone else feel free to add
Back when John first started there was a lot of folk with steer...anyone have pics or updates of these jackets