• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Good Wear Steerhide A-2

Rutger

Looks like cow is more supple than horse, ain't it? The more I see cow, the better I'd like one instead of the horse one I have.

Dr H

My recent experience with the LVC Menlo Cossack is similar weight to horsehide (a little heavier/more dense perhaps), but significantly more supple.
It increases my belief that the original Perry 16175-P that I owned was steer.

Roughwear

This russet steer hide is remarkable for its grain and vintage appearance. Do you have one of these on order Brian?

saucerfiend

Roughwear said:
This russet steer hide is remarkable for its grain and vintage appearance. Do you have one of these on order Brian?

I have a Bronco coming, when John's ready. Hopefully soon.

Brian

TankBuster

One of the better hides I've seen in a long time. It has that look of a lightly worn orginal. I have a Steer GW and probably wouldn't go back to Horse Hide considering the comfort. Just my opinion of course.

A

Anonymous

there is horse more comfortable than cow/steer
it's all in the tanning method

blackrat2

I agree the steer is so much softer and the grain/wrinkling is superb,it really is worth considering when you get the call from John
Will post some pics up after a month or so of wear

bseal

Peter Graham said:
It's remarkable how opinions have changed since the release of Gary Eastman's book.

I remember Daisygate and Aero's more recent version . . .

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

blackrat2

I haven't been on the site for that long,how have opinions changed,was there a non acceptance of steer or did it get used originally in repros and then fall from grace until Gary Eastman confirmed its use,where it is getting a revival now.

TankBuster

blackrat2 said:
I haven't been on the site for that long,how have opinions changed,was there a non acceptance of steer or did it get used originally in repros and then fall from grace until Gary Eastman confirmed its use,where it is getting a revival now.

You pretty much guessed it. There were some that blasted steer hide as inferior since "It was never used on original A-2 jackets" I don't know if any are still members here or not but it was a hot topic time after time on previous forums.

Personally, I have been a fan of steer hide ever since I purchased one of John Chapmans early sample jackets. It's a beauty Dubow that he worked on to make it look like a lightly worn original. I still have the jacket and really like it.