• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Good Wear Californian Imperial

ButteMT61

An amazing jacket. Close to the Ventura, but a lil different. Really looks sharp in these pics.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/C ... rial02_46/

Californian_Imperial.jpg

RMF308

I was able to check this one out in person over at John's shop about 2 weeks ago... Fantastic fit and finish, and this new batch of Dark Seal is incredible.

Dentman

That's one beautiful jacket in beautiful hide! Hardly dare say it but I might even prefer it to the Ventura, my all time favourite jacket.

What I particularly like about the GW patterns is they have some shape in the body, so many half belts have that straight up and down almost barrel like look to them. The other feature with John's jackets is the way they fit and hang on the body, no ugly pulling creases spoiling the drape, an almost tailored look. Stunning!

ButteMT61

Dentman said:
That's one beautiful jacket in beautiful hide! Hardly dare say it but I might even prefer it to the Ventura, my all time favourite jacket.

What I particularly like about the GW patterns is they have some shape in the body, so many half belts have that straight up and down almost barrel like look to them. The other feature with John's jackets is the way they fit and hang on the body, no ugly pulling creases spoiling the drape, an almost tailored look. Stunning!

I've got a Ventura in that Shinki and it's my favorite jacket of all time. But...I'm contemplating selling it to get one of these. Only thing at this point that kills the idea is the wait. Not sure I can endure 2 years. I'm getting more impatient with time and I think that's beyond my range. What I really like is the cuffs. Not sure though about losing the action back. This might be tougher to wear? Either way, gorgeous.

Dentman

ButteMT61 said:
I've got a Ventura in that Shinki and it's my favorite jacket of all time. But...I'm contemplating selling it to get one of these. Only thing at this point that kills the idea is the wait. Not sure I can endure 2 years. I'm getting more impatient with time and I think that's beyond my range. What I really like is the cuffs. Not sure though about losing the action back. This might be tougher to wear? Either way, gorgeous.

I can do 4 to 6 months, at a push, but 2 years I couldn't do. I see on John's sales page he mentions using a North American company to made some stock jackets, that could shorten the wait as long as the same quality is there. The cuffs on the Imperial are just right, I found the straps on the Ventura an adornment that I could easily do without. The action back I'm not so sure about losing. The added freedom of movement was limited, due to its design, but it was just enough to make reaching a pint on the bar just a little easier :)

ButteMT61

Dentman said:
ButteMT61 said:

I can do 4 to 6 months, at a push, but 2 years I couldn't do. I see on John's sales page he mentions using a North American company to made some stock jackets, that could shorten the wait as long as the same quality is there. The cuffs on the Imperial are just right, I found the straps on the Ventura an adornment that I could easily do without. The action back I'm not so sure about losing. The added freedom of movement was limited, due to its design, but it was just enough to make reaching a pint on the bar just a little easier :)

That's kinda my feelings across the board. I've filled out the GW order form about 6 times in the last month and every time I get to submit, I cancel. Just not able to wait that long. I know it's worth it, but I've lost the ability to wait that long.

handymike

I paid my deposit Fall 2012, and got the first Imperial in late August 2014.
We made some modifications, and Imperial 2 was in my hands 2 years (Oct '14).
The wait seemed like a long time back then, but in hindsight not so long. :)

Thanks for the compliment Butte, the color and lining were inspired by yours.

Dentman

handymike said:
I paid my deposit Fall 2012, and got the first Imperial in late August 2014.
We made some modifications, and Imperial 2 was in my hands 2 years (Oct '14).
The wait seemed like a long time back then, but in hindsight not so long. :)

I really wish I could plan and wait that long, I don't even know if I'll be here in 2 years time! I'll have to keep my eye on the classifieds for any cast offs :)

The other option of course would be BK, who have a couple of similar designs, but I've only seen a couple customers happy enough to post fit pics. I'd really need to see more positive reviews before I could stump up the cash for one.

handymike

I bought and sold a few during my waiting time.
For me it was a unique experience because I approached John with the idea to create this model which was my "Grail" leather jacket. Back then, the only company doing a similar style was Rainbow Country in Japan, and their jacket wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Dentman

handymike said:
I bought and sold a few during my waiting time.
For me it was a unique experience because I approached John with the idea to create this model which was my "Grail" leather jacket. Back then, the only company doing a similar style was Rainbow Country in Japan, and their jacket wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Excellent! It must have been exiting to see your idea come good, it's a beauty!

handymike

Yes, indeed!
Thank you.
John did a fantastic job. It is great to see others enjoying this jacket design as well.
Who knows, if enough people clamor for it John might have them available for "off the rack" sale without the long wait someday.

ButteMT61

Good job Mike! I think (with the possible exception of the back) it is a step up from the Ventura. Now understand how much I love my Ventura, so that's saying a lot. Is yours also the Shinki seal HH? It only gets better with time. I really do love those cuffs. One thing I got JC to change on my Ventura was the cuff - I do not like lining in the cuffs, so he did them in all-leather, which is something that all jackets I get must have. I've seen and destroyed more lined cuffs than I care to think about, and it's the best change I made (also the zipper).
You're splitting hairs here - it's like asking if you prefer a redhead pinup girl or brunette. A Spitfire or a Mustang. You know what I mean :lol:

handymike

Actually, the leather color is unique. John ran out of Dark Seal Shinki at the time...
So, he hand dyed the regular seal Shinki to a darker brown. Eventually, the color might rub off a bit to get more of the "Combat Clone" look (with natural wear, not sanding).
The cuffs are leather lined, and aren't extra stiff or thick.
The back is what I love most on this jacket ;)
Cheers Butte!