• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Good Wear A2 contract 23383

Dr H

Nice silhouette and some interesting detailing, particularly collar stand and pockets/reinforcement.
Andrew (Roughwear) do you have an original? I vaguely remember you posting in an inventory. If so, was this one cloned from that?

Roughwear

I wondered when John would put these pics up on his website as we have discussed the 23383 contract this week. It is certainly a unique contract and should appeal to those people looking for a somewhat different A2.

Ian, I have never owned an original from the 23383 contract. An original was sold on Ebay a few weeks ago and I wonder whether John got his hands on it to pattern this repro.

Dr H

Thanks Andrew, not sure where I got that from then - do you have a civilian A-2 by the same maker?

Silver Surfer

i had an original some years ago. it was sold to a collector in japan. as jc mentions on his site, it is often thought that they were made by fried osterman [spelling?]. the jacket is cut very much like a m-422, in that they were trim, and longish, with longish arms. besides the collar construction, the construction at the front zipper starter tabs is unique, as well. my original was in a darker brown, not russet, and not quite the seal brown we see in the navy jacs. the hides were thick, with matching graining. a very flattering a-2, but not for fat guys. i am unsure of the actual war time production numbers, but i suspect that only a few were made, possibly as a sample jackets. they were obscure, and originals are some what rare.

derleicaman

Even though JC does not mention it in his description, from the photos it appears that this jacket has inset sleeves as well. If so, this should make for a very comfortable pattern. Looks good and might consider one of these.

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
i had an original some years ago. it was sold to a collector in japan. as jc mentions on his site, it is often thought that they were made by fried osterman [spelling?]. the jacket is cut very much like a m-422, in that they were trim, and longish, with longish arms. besides the collar construction, the construction at the front zipper starter tabs is unique, as well. my original was in a darker brown, not russet, and not quite the seal brown we see in the navy jacs. the hides were thick, with matching graining. a very flattering a-2, but not for fat guys. i am unsure of the actual war time production numbers, but i suspect that only a few were made, possibly as a sample jackets. they were obscure, and originals are some what rare.

I have seen originals in both seal and russet goatskin. It is certainly one of the rarer A2 contracts, although I'm not sure of the size of the 23383 contract I suspect it would have been for at least 5,000 jackets. John may have more information here.

kkochheiser

The sleeves look rotated as well as inset, and the zipper on the non-windflap side looks semi-concealed like on an M-422/G-1. Very different and very interesting!

Kent

Roughwear

John's veg tanned Indian goatskin is awesome and the closest you will get these days to Wartime goatskin. My GW Doniger is made from the same stuff and it's just beginning to break in after several months of wear.

saucerfiend

Roughwear said:
John's veg tanned Indian goatskin is awesome and the closest you will get these days to Wartime goatskin. My GW Doniger is made from the same stuff and it's just beginning to break in after several months of wear.

How about those pics of you wearing it Andrew?

Brian

Roughwear

saucerfiend said:
Roughwear said:

How about those pics of you wearing it Andrew?

Brian

Opps! Will do.

kkochheiser

Andrew, I'll second your opinion of the goatskin. I have a Dubow with the same and it's great stuff. It does take some breaking in, I'm not there yet!

Kent