• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New G&F M422a + Ralph Edwards G1

Mr Black

I'm not sure if this is the right place for the post but I just thought i'd show this M442a I picked up recently for not alot of money (£95 incl post).
From what little I know about M422a's. Anj-3's, G1,s i'm assuming this is a Gordon & Ferguson number.

The waistband/cuffs are clearly replaced, presumably using A2 spec wool but I quite like how it looks & I'm even tempted to do this to a original spec '61 Ralph Edwards G1 that I also got not too long ago but the knits aren't TOO much in need of replacing. Would that be sacrilegious to do in your opinions?

The zip is a replacement, as is the mouton & I think the lining- This would have been red right?

2a8588z.jpg

2na680z.jpg

2isytxy.jpg

demxxi.jpg

2h88rad.jpg

2retquu.jpg

Ralph Edwards...

2cqe3dj.jpg

27yx2ix.jpg

2upfd37.jpg

vxkndu.jpg

awet5h.jpg

30w2xbp.jpg

chamboid

Very nice. And your correct, definitely a G&F M-422a. Does seem the collar has been replaced as well as the lining, (would have been a red/salmon colour) leather looks to be in very good condition though. I think the knits work well on it if not worried about authenticity.

Mr Black

I very much doubt the collars are original. The mouton doesn't seem quite right. It's too long in comparison to the Ralph Edwards and also to another G&F i've had.

I rather like the wool knits and actually prefer the contrast to the standard brown option, which is why i'm almost contemplating doing the same to the Ralph Edwards G1.

Part of me thinks 'it would be a massive shame to do this, the jacket has lasted over 50 years and i'd be destroying it's integrity& authenticity', another part of me thinks 'sod it, it's my jacket, I can do what i bloody well want to it'

Decisions decisions...

Jason

That G&F looks stunning done up like that... I'd venture to say, the best I've ever seen, even if authenticity has been compromised in the strict sense of the word.

My dad used to restore vintage cars to full running condition. It made no sense to him to buy a rusty hulk of a car and then let it sit somewhere, afraid to do anything to it for fear of 'messing up it's authenticity' - the nature of a car is that it needs to be driven, and until it's driven it's just some metal & rubber. I guess some of that mindset has rubbed off onto me with jackets... their nature is to be a functional piece of clothing, not a display piece. Hence, I'm happy to restore original jackets to the point where they're wearable - while still being as sympathetic as possible to authenticity, of course. It's a debate with no consensus, and I don't think there are any right or wrong answers... it's your own decision to be happy with.

Roughwear

The G&F M422a looks like the one restored by Bill Kelso some time back. £95 sure was a bargain! Well done.

Mr Black

Thanks for the input Gents.

restored by Bill Kelso you say...interesting. On this one, whoever did it has put a triangular patch over the pit-vents on each side. Seems a very strange thing to do. I may have to do some unpicking to take a look.

A

Anonymous

This isn't the Kelso restoration. That restoration by KeLso had the correct color lining and correct type knits. This one has A-2 type knits.

galvestonokie

Mr. Black et al:
I find this an interesting conversation. I have collecting Navy jackets for a while, not nearly as long as some others here. IMHO, the G&F is much more collectible than the Edwards, and, the "authenticity" has already been adjusted. it appears to be a smaller size judging from the collar/jacket size ratio. the leather is wonderful and I also like a bit of contract between the body leather and knits. it is a bit of a challenge, when replacing mouton collars, to find one the proper length (of wool fiber). many new repro jackets have collars with mouton that is too long.

I have mentally classified my jackets into 2 categories over time. a few original, near mint jackets (M422a, AER, or early G-1) that i don't change with the exception of cleaning, airing out occasionally. I have one daily wearer purchased from Andrew (thanks again) that is pretty much original but suits me and fits me. I'll try to get some pics in the coming weeks. i just wear it often and it gets better with wearing.

Bob