• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ELC broken grain 1940 Irvin???

Hawkeye

I have to say I didnt see this one coming....I'm not sure how authentic it is. And they say the leather trim is all warhorse leather, I thought Irvin leather trim was originally all cowhide? I have to say I think I prefer the previous finish. I think I'll also be quite annoyed if they throw the remaining stock on the re-issue depot at low prices, considering I just broke the bank with a 42 pattern.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/RAF40.htm

donsom

I called it ;) .... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3181&start=30

I'll be anxiously waiting too see if they put old stock up on re-issue (I also prefer the previous finish, but this finish doesn't look nearly as bad as the latest D-1 finish).

Now, let's see if they're business savey enough to offer BOTH versions moving forward....

Andrew

I'm sure it's a beautiful jacket and the finish is fine but it is surprising that they don't offer the choice. Must be operational or market forces at work there. Natural wear patterns are unique.

They did put the old ANJ-4's up for sale at the reissue so there's a precedent.

John Lever

Looks like they are really going for it on the Broken Finish.
Question ' Would both US and GB jackets have the same type of finish any way ? '
How long until the RW B-3 ?

John Lever

Hawkeye said:
I have to say I didnt see this one coming....I'm not sure how authentic it is. And they say the leather trim is all warhorse leather, I thought Irvin leather trim was originally all cowhide? I have to say I think I prefer the previous finish. I think I'll also be quite annoyed if they throw the remaining stock on the re-issue depot at low prices, considering I just broke the bank with a 42 pattern.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/RAF40.htm
Good point there it may depress prices.
I am going to ask for a sample and have a closer look.

Cliff

So much for Gary's response to my email before Christmas about having no plans to make a broken grain Irvin......the rotter fibbed to me !!! :lol: :lol:

Now I got to have one of these !!!!!!!

c

donsom

RE: New RAF 1940's IRVIN in simulated wear.

Just got off the phone with someone at Eastman (who asked these questions of Alan in the back shop while I was on the line with them).

1. They DON'T have any "old stock" left that will be going on sale.
2. You CAN'T get the jacket in any other version than the simulated wear that is now available.
3. When I asked why they were going to simulated wear exclusively .... no response.

John .. as far as the Redskin goes ... I would say it's more than likely they'll switch it to simulated wear ... sooner than later. I'm very happy that I bought my B-3 Redskin when I did ... in non-simulated wear. As far as the sample of the new IRVIN leather goes, please share your opinions when you receive it (would be much appreciated).

I for one would really like to know why they can't offer both versions and why they made the move to exclusive simulated wear products.

Cliff ... seems they did "fib" indeed ... and that being said, they will probably have old stock, that they didn't tell me about.... :lol:

John Lever

I have to admit to a devious act committed upon Alan. I asked him for samples of the Broken Finish for the Irvin and RW B-3, he hesitated then said he would get them off to me straight away...

Cliff

Do I wait for the non existant stock of 1940 Irvins to be sold at a vastly reduced rate or spend £500 on the broken grain version ??? :?

Hawkeye

I would hope they dont replace the "vintage finish" on the 42 pattern with broken grain. The vintage finish is really well done in my opinion, dull and old looking without looking dry and crackly. But we shall see.

havocpaul

I would expect there are/were old stock around as they always have examples at the shows but it looks as if the worn finish will be the option in future. I reckon they are damned if they do, damned if they don't, folk have been crying out for an end to the smooth finish on the hides and now they have cracked it (no pun intended!) and got the right look others are bemoaning the demise of the smooth stuff! I for one think it is a progressive move on their part and look forward to further revisions on other styles.

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
I have to admit to a devious act committed upon Alan. I asked him for samples of the Broken Finish for the Irvin and RW B-3, he hesitated then said he would get them off to me straight away...

Ha ha! You sly devil! That was a brilliant idea. John Lever, in your opinion, does the sheepskin hide seem thinner on the B-3 "broken grain" than Eastman's old shearling? I like the look of the "broken grain" on your B-3 and the 1940 pattern Irvin - so long as it doesn't compromise the strength/longevity of the leather, I think it will be a hit with buyers.

Noel

donsom

But why not both versions to choose from???? That's the question I would like answered ...

You would think that they would start with the non-wear simulated version anyhow?

I guess the question would be "when" they "treat" it .... before they stitch it together (leather only) .... or after it's completed ... or both.

I can't really justify my comments, because I haven't physically seen or handled a broken grain version ... but I'd personally still prefer to break it in myself.

John Lever

To answer both questions, the BF is the same gauge as the regular leather. BF is not pre-worn to give simulated wear, it's just a different finish as it lacks the gloss of the previous type.
ELC only currently offer Vintage Finish and Broken Finish on their sheep skins, I don't know where Simulated Wear comes from.

donsom

John Lever said:
To answer both questions, the BF is the same gauge as the regular leather. BF is not pre-worn to give simulated wear, it's just a different finish as it lacks the gloss of the previous type.
ELC only currently offer Vintage Finish and Broken Finish on their sheep skins, I don't know where Simulated Wear comes from.

Improper wording on my part, sorry ... simulated wear = broken finish