• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW ELC A2 MONARCH VS ROUGH WEAR 1401 WARHORSE

mindful

HELLO everyone im am new to this forum, since last year i found elc jackets after looking for a repro a2, and ever since ive brought an a2 seal brown and a b15 c and a buzz rickson l2b sage green. ive always been into army style clothing since a a kid as ive been influenced from my uncle who was a legionnaire in the 80s i have to confess my addiction for these jackets and im wondering out of the new a2 monarch warhorse or the 1401 rough wear warhorse to buy i love the vintage look and grain compared to th older models and if any of you conerasir of these jackets could help and advise me on which style to buy . im only 5,4 and i wear a size 40 in both my elc which fit me perfectly, so for this amount of money i would like to get it right the first time if anyone has some pic of both that would be great to see thanks chaps.
:D

Tim P

Yes welcome, you have been busy. Now opinions vary as to which jacket is best and I am sure that there is very little to choose between the two in terms of quality but in terms of my own personal preference, the collar of a Roughwear would put me off buying one from any manufacturer, and I have tried several over the years so it is not a particular maker.
By contrast the Monarch has a much more ergonomic collar design that sits beautifully and is contoured rather than a uniform width all round. Add to that the better fit of the sleeves and for me it is a no brainer, those Monarchs rock straight out of the box whereas a Roughwear will have you wriggling around or scalding the collar with hot water to form it to keep it sitting right.

As patterns of essentially the same jacket they can only look so different (many subtle differences I agree but in essence still an A-2) but the fit (however much you tweak the Roughwear) belongs to the Monarch and, to the trained eye they look so much better too.Since you would be buying from the same place, all that you have to think about is how wearable it is. After a while the Roughwear would have you stroking your chin wondering whether to brave it or whether to put another similar comfier jacket on.

unclegrumpy

Welcome!

I think both would be nice choices. The biggest difference between those two jackets is the cut of the collar. The Roughwear has a slightly bigger floppier collar, as does most of the earlier A-2 makers. The Monarch has a bit more trimmer looking cut to it as well.

If you already have an Eastman House A-2, you might want to consider their Werber. It has some neat early design features. Plus, I think if you search through the old posts on the Forum, you will find that the Werber is many members favorite ELC jacket.

nogbat

i have a 1401 in the new horsehide and its taken a whule to get to like it to be honest ,for a start its advertised as russet but its more a mid to dark brown , and it was so stiff,but after steaming the collar and numerous attacks on the jacket ,, i think yes its o.k. but if youve had elc before be aware this is very diferent ,not bad but diferent ive not seen the new monarch ... good luck with your choice :cool:

mindful

Thank you guys so much for welcoming me, and for the heads up on my topic about these two jackets, i was swaying towards the the monarch but i thought the monarch would've had the loser fit to the 1401 and wasn't sure weather the collar would be to floppy looking on the monarch, i was also looking for that type of fitted look as it give the jacket a more vintage look as well. my l2b buzz jacket i have in a 38 which is smaller than my elc a2 classic has a bit more of a snugger fit which is nice ect. i was also thinking about the weber style before but i love the look of the warhorse grain i think elc has really got it right with that affect .

Tim P

Go with the Monarch. seriously. All bases covered. I have been buying and selling A2's that for whatever reason didnt meet my expectations for decades.

I bought a Monarch from Clark J here, time worn the hard way, and still have it, with no plans to ever sell it.

Dani-B

Hello Mindful

English isn't my mothertounge, but I'll try to write understandeable sentences here...
I own two ELC A-2 Jackets (lucky guy!) in Warhorse-Leather and Size 42Regular, the RW 27752 (bought 2010) and the Monarch 23378 in the 352nd Fighter Group version with the very practical and useful inside pockets which I wouldn't miss no more (bought 2011).
The Monarch has clearly a trimmer fit over all than the RW27752 (chest, waist, shoulders, arm holes, sleeves).
But both Jackets are very comfortable to wear - the monarch with the tighter, cool-looking, timeless cut and the 'sharper' styled collar without a collar stand, and the RW27752 with a little more looser fit and the bigger collar (as described here already) - for me THE vintage Flight Jacket par excellence!
I worked and treated both collars by hand in front of the TV at times, now they have a nice-looking shape, are smooth, soft and comfortable, however the RW's less than the Monarch's.
I love both A-2's, and it's always again a great pleasure to wear it!
Hope this helps, and Good luck with your choice.

Regards and sorry again for this strange english, hope you understand it nevertheless ;)

mindful

Thank you all very helpful chaps definitely going for the monarch 100% have to show the jacket on me when i purchase it becuse im gonna look so cool init.

omarco

Nice one, and a good decision i think. I really fancy one myself.

Have you seen the 352nd FTR Group on on ELC? It has inside pockets on it as well, looks great, if a little spendy:

352nd%20A-2%20mont.jpg

mindful said:
Thank you all very helpful chaps definitely going for the monarch 100% have to show the jacket on me when i purchase it becuse im gonna look so cool init.

Clark J

I really like the pockets!!The Monarchs run big,,,,,since I've dropped 20+ it's sadly way to big.Sure wish I had a 44!!

Cobblers161

Wow! The pic of Lt Cornick is great, I just love the uneven stitching showing through from the liner. Sadly that along with uneven pockets is a detail that repro makers seem reluctant to produce. In my opinion some misaligned stitching or maybe even two visible different thread types would just add a whole heap of character to a jacket.

RCSignals

Cobblers161 said:
Wow! The pic of Lt Cornick is great, I just love the uneven stitching showing through from the liner. Sadly that along with uneven pockets is a detail that repro makers seem reluctant to produce. In my opinion some misaligned stitching or maybe even two visible different thread types would just add a whole heap of character to a jacket.

I can agree with that, however it goes against human nature, and most buyers probably wouldn't go for it. People tend to see such as imperfections and the jacket becomes a 'second' to the buyer, not worth the full price.

Steve27752

I've had both and I prefer the cut of the RW 1401P. Also the Monarch has the shoulder seam under the eppaulets. I prefer it too be behind the eppaulet.

Roughwear

Steve27752 said:
Also the Monarch has the shoulder seam under the eppaulets. I prefer it too be behind the eppaulet.

This is interesting. Perhaps you can explain why you prefer the shoulder seam to be behind the epaulet?

Tim P

Roughwear said:
Steve27752 said:
Also the Monarch has the shoulder seam under the eppaulets. I prefer it too be behind the eppaulet.

This is interesting. Perhaps you can explain why you prefer the shoulder seam to be behind the epaulet?

irrelevant to me. no appreciable impact on the look or comfort of the jacket

Steve27752

Tim P said:
Roughwear said:
Steve27752 said:

irrelevant to me. no appreciable impact on the look or comfort of the jacket

It really is just personal choice. I think behind the epaulet looks better with the seam running behind it.