• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ELC '50-Cal' A-2!

havocpaul

I see no differences between ELC and GW, both offer the same service and have good ranges of product, John is currently in the similar position Eastman was years ago, pretty much a one-man show, both provide a bespoke service as any one who has visited ELC at Duxford will appreciate, getting the customers' requirements with fit and sizing is paramount. Anyhow, as I said, all I was doing was highlighting a new top-range jacket on the market, job done.

Grant

The rather squared off pocket corners and berry color knits look like details from their old Aero pattern.

Grant

Chandler

Curahee said:
Does anyone know if the uncovered collar snapbacks are authentic ?

Not sure what you're seeing from the link to ELC -- pretty hard to see the collar snaps, but you can tell they're the ring style, not the nipple snaps. A-2s had both throughout history.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Curahee said:

Not sure what you're seeing from the link to ELC -- pretty hard to see the collar snaps, but you can tell they're the ring style, not the nipple snaps. A-2s had both throughout history.

Chandler

There's a photo of the jacket spread open, and you can see where the inside part of the snap isn't covered. This is the same as their old Aero 42-18775-P reproduction, and I assume the .50 Cal is styled after the Aero 21996 contract.

I like the looks of the jacket, just don't think the treatment is worth the extra $$$. If I could get one without the pre-wear, I'd sell my Monarch and buy one of these.

~Swing

jacketimp

Swing said:
Chandler said:
Curahee said:

Chandler

There's a photo of the jacket spread open, and you can see where the inside part of the snap isn't covered. This is the same as their old Aero 42-18775-P reproduction, and I assume the .50 Cal is styled after the Aero 21996 contract.

I like the looks of the jacket, just don't think the treatment is worth the extra $$$. If I could get one without the pre-wear, I'd sell my Monarch and buy one of these.

~Swing

swing,

i think gary can oblige....you can never know till you ask!

jacketimp

Curahee said:
Does anyone know if the uncovered collar snapbacks are authentic ? I've never seen that on a an A-2

tranquility base had one, an aero, I believe.........maybe he can oblige with a pix?

Chandler

Swing said:
There's a photo of the jacket spread open, and you can see where the inside part of the snap isn't covered.

Okay -- I see now.

If I could get one without the pre-wear, I'd sell my Monarch and buy one of these.

Really? You like it that much better? Just the pattern, or what? I tend to agree that I've seen other ELC A-2s I'd rather have, with or without the weathering.

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
Really? You like it that much better? Just the pattern, or what? I tend to agree that I've seen other ELC A-2s I'd rather have, with or without the weathering.

Chandler

I've always thought 21996 was one of the best looking A-2 contracts.

~Swing

A

Anonymous

havocpaul said:
I see no differences between ELC and GW, both offer the same service and have good ranges of product, John is currently in the similar position Eastman was years ago, pretty much a one-man show, both provide a bespoke service as any one who has visited ELC at Duxford will appreciate, getting the customers' requirements with fit and sizing is paramount. Anyhow, as I said, all I was doing was highlighting a new top-range jacket on the market, job done.
Better get your eyes examined my friend- John's jackets are as close as one can get to an exact copy of a WW2 original A-2 and Eastman's jackets are altered, "fixed", straightened and smoothed beyond redemption IMO. John may tailor a bit to help fit a customer but the characteristics and fit of each contract are maintained. Eastmans always look like Eastmans first and foremost. The differences between GW and Eastman are as great as those between Eastman and US Authentic (going down the repro scale) IMO.

Grant

Just had a question. If GW jackets are "as close as one can get to an exact copy" why is it that most of the GW jackets you buy from John end up on ebay after you post photos on the forum and blather on the forum about how perfect they are? Odd.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rotenhahn said:
havocpaul said:
Better get your eyes examined my friend- John's jackets are as close as one can get to ............

The way I read it ... Paul isn't making any comment about the jackets themselves.

Merely observing that the two makers operate in a similar manner.

Curahee

Why not leave it at that ? I think all this bickering about whose jackets are better is getting old and isn't much help to John either.
Instead of pointing out only the negatives of a jacket, why not
point out the positves ? yeah yeah...but it still looks like crap..that kind of mentality kills all the fun of this forum.

The forum seems to be devided into "camps" these days one pro GW and the other with different preferences. Come on !
I know everybody has the right to have his opinion and all but butsometimes :roll:

Hamsterbear

havocpaul said:
Just in case anyone had not clicked on the more pictures bit here's the close-ups......

http://www.eastmanleather.com/A-250CAL.htm

That picture looks exactly like my Eastman Aero Leather, from a few years ago when they actually had the "Aeroleather" label.
-B
PICT0005.jpg

havocpaul

Curahee said:
Why not leave it at that ? I think all this bickering about whose jackets are better is getting old and isn't much help to John either.
Instead of pointing out only the negatives of a jacket, why not
point out the positves ? yeah yeah...but it still looks like crap..that kind of mentality kills all the fun of this forum.

The forum seems to be devided into "camps" these days one pro GW and the other with different preferences. Come on !
I know everybody has the right to have his opinion and all but butsometimes :roll:

I agree entirely, what started as applauding a new product predictably turned into negative comments and the often seen recently 'Emperor's new clothes' syndrom which I have no time for; I guess I'll think twice before posting any future news if this is how it ends up. BTW, my eyes are perfect having had them retested and new glasses bought, and they're not rose-coloured lenses either!