• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New eBay selling rules AGAIN!

havocpaul

Just had an e-mail from eBay notifying they are revising their selling/listing rules next month....this set alarm bells ringing...
"If the time elapses without a response or a refund to the buyer, eBay will generally refund the cost of the item and postage to the buyer and, when appropriate, seek to recover transaction funds from the seller as currently happens through the existing PayPal process"
reads as if they will do a kind of charge-back refund which probably won't be fair to the seller, after all, not all requests for refunds etc are valid or fair. Also they are extending compulsory free postage on clothing (thankfully not militaria - yet) is a new one. Also sellers will have to specify delivery times....now that'll be fun when sending to places like Italy with their notorious/infamous postal service. We will as sellers also have to specify returns/refunds in the listings which might invite buyers to think all items can be returned which shouldn't be the case unless the description/condition was inaccurate.

Roughwear

Once again the seller is being penalised. As we all know buyer fraud has dented the pockets of numerous members here and this new rule will only to serve to weaken the seller even more. I'm not quite sure how Ebay will secure a charge back? Will they add it to the seller's fees? :twisted:

John Lever

They take fees by Direct debit, so they will probably do the same with charge backs. Their approach is becoming Governmental in it's authority.
They sent me an e-mail today about seller protection, so the two are linked obviously.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
They take fees by Direct debit, so they will probably do the same with charge backs. Their approach is becoming Governmental in it's authority.
They sent me an e-mail today about seller protection, so the two are linked obviously.

Agreed-very governmental. Lets hope we don't get suggestive emails from them! I got an email from them today about the new listing format from June.

rpmooreii

I used to sell pretty frequently on eBay but I am phasing out of using this avenue. My 11 year 100% perfect transaction record was ruined by an international shill and ebay wouldn't help even though the person defied my bidding rules (stated in the listing) and I could prove the item was sent. Last month I just restricted my sales to the US... but now I think it will stop selling on eBay unless there is no other alternative.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
"If the time elapses without a response or a refund to the buyer, eBay will generally refund the cost of the item and postage to the buyer and, when appropriate, seek to recover transaction funds from the seller as currently happens through the existing PayPal process"

I'm not quite sure I understand the changes here. That the refund process will be handled by eBay rather than Paypal or that they will also recover transaction fees?

I guess eBay is feeling the recession though one would imagine the profits compared to running costs are still quite favourable. They seem to think attracting buyers is the key but in the process they're simply driving away sellers. The rules also seem to be localising rather globalising buying and selling whereas an initial appeal of eBay was that it opened up the whole world...suddenly that jacket in Japan wasn't out of your reach if you were in the US or UK.

Steve27752

I recently became a `seller` thinking that the money would go straight onto my credit card that I used to buy things.
No it is in my Paypal account! I am going to use Paypals direct debit to pay the money into MY bank account I will then cancel the Paypal direct debit.

MikeyB-17

When I was in sales, the people who paid our fees were the sellers, and we did our best to look after them as it was they who kept us in business. This doesn't seem to apply to Ebay, who seem desperate to look after buyers whilst making life progressively more difficult for sellers. As far as I'm concerned they can get stuffed-I'm going to have to be pretty desperate to do any more Ebay selling. I'm half tempted to send them an email telling them what I think, but they won't give a monkey's so I won't bother.

wop54

MikeyB-17 said:
When I was in sales, the people who paid our fees were the sellers, and we did our best to look after them as it was they who kept us in business. This doesn't seem to apply to Ebay, who seem desperate to look after buyers whilst making life progressively more difficult for sellers. As far as I'm concerned they can get stuffed-I'm going to have to be pretty desperate to do any more Ebay selling. I'm half tempted to send them an email telling them what I think, but they won't give a monkey's so I won't bother.
Between their customers satisfaction (sellers) and their customers' customers satisfaction (buyers) they prefer the latter knowing that sellers need the huge ebay's marketplace more than buyer do. They are market leader and single player so they mob their customers as they please (opening the way to that competitor that will understand how to attract sellers, as already seen in others markets). Cheers, Carlo

wop54

MikeyB-17 said:
Between their customers satisfaction (sellers) and their customers' customers satisfaction (buyers) they prefer the latter knowing that sellers need the huge ebay's marketplace more than buyer do. They are market leader and single player so they mob their customers as they please (opening the way to that competitor that will understand how to attract sellers, as already seen in others markets). Cheers, Carlo

jacketimp

a BIG.......FAT...... HUNGRY... GREEEEDY.....cat......

the mice are on its territory

meooooooows the cat.........feeding time........