• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman Monarch A2 in the "new" warhorse HH

Chris217

Marv, thanks for posting those pictures. My grandfather was a bombardier with the 486th Bomb Group, so I love seeing any pictures of whats left of the old Sudbury airfield.

majormajor1

Marv said:
Sorry for highjacking the thread slightly but we are on the subject of USAAF memorial plates, I'd just thought I would briefly share one of mine.

I recently attended a friends wedding, back in September last year, in Sudbury Suffolk and just outside the town was the remains of USAAF Station 174 - 486th Bombardment Group (Heavy) airfield.

The hangers still remain but are now used by a haulage company also the perimeter track and the airfield/grounds are the property of Suffolk County Council.

However I managed to sneak onto the airfield early on a Sunday morning to have a quick look and take some pics but sadly the only area I could get in was at the haulage company's enterance so couldn't actually get to the hangers but managed to take some pics of what remains of the runway etc.

I have include the wartime aerial shot of the airfield and the pics were taken at the end of the S/SE runway as indicated on the photo (current day aerial photo can be seen clearly on Google Earth) looking across the to NW of the runway.

See what you think............

Excellent pics. Good to see the plaque still in situ, despite the change of use of the site :)

majormajor1

Here's a pic of well-known Nose-artist Phil Brinkman doing some work for 486 BG at Sudbury. :)

scan0019d.jpg

majormajor1

Roughwear said:
There were significant variations in the hides used by the different original makers of A2s. I own those which are relatively smooth with a few areas of grain and others which are much grainier all over. The ELC 1933 Werber is my favourite ELC A2, and yes I do like the new Monarch and Star. The hh on my Werber is almost identical to that on one of my original 1940 Aeros. It will be interesting to see how the latest ELC Italian hh wears with time.

Either the guy second from the right has got a newish jacket compared with his mates, or, as you say Andrew, he has a different HH on his issue. Most of the other guys have the "lived in" look I love :D

scan0020pg.jpg

Also, quite a few variations in squadron patch position.

BTW - 381st BG

This sure turned into a really interesting thread!

Started with a cool repro Monarch with an amazing hide, morphed into a debate on HWT and effects on leather, etc, and then took in USAAF memorials and photos of same and wartime photos of jackets, risque nose art...oh, boy!

Funny thing about the wear/grain thing. I remember getting an Avirex "MacArthur" A-2 about 21 years ago and being disappointed that the jacket had nice, perfectly smooth horsehide on almost all areas of the jacket, except for one place on one arm with ugly, grainy "wrinkles" or something in the leather. :eek: I thought that wrinkled area pretty much spoiled the jacket!

Little did I suspect I would come to appreciate the grainy "wrinkles" in the future. :lol:

majormajor1

Clyde from Carolina said:
This sure turned into a really interesting thread!

Started with a cool repro Monarch with an amazing hide, morphed into a debate on HWT and effects on leather, etc, and then took in USAAF memorials and photos of same and wartime photos of jackets, risque nose art...oh, boy!

The best threads (IMHO) are like a bunch of guys chatting over a few beers!! ;)

You start on one thing, and an hour (and three beers) later, someone says "how did we finish up talking about this other thing?". And the reply is "Don't know, but whose round is it?".

So, highjacking my own thread, when was the last time you saw someone else wearing a vintage/repro jacket? Ok, we see 'em at shows and stuff. But other than that - do you ever see any?

I've gotta say that in the 25 years I've had A2s, I have NEVER seen anyone else wearing one in the street. I've talked to folks who know what they are. Even had friends in the pub ask if I'd sell them one (they change their mind and start laughing when I tell them how much they are worth....). But seriously - NEVER have I seen anyone wearing one. Perhaps it is a very rare disease..... ;) :eek: :eek:

majormajor1 said:
So, highjacking my own thread, when was the last time you saw someone else wearing a vintage/repro jacket? Ok, we see 'em at shows and stuff. But other than that - do you ever see any?

Hmm, very good question. I'd say very rarely have I seen anyone wearing anything remotely interesting, flight jacket-wise. In the areas around military bases I grew up around, I saw many issue jackets of course, but out and about in town? Can't remember the last time I saw an interesting/cool vintage or repro jacket.

Of course, if I lived in a large metro area like NY it might be different, but I think you're right... It's a comparatively rare sickness we have!

johnwayne

How co-incidental is that? I was on my way to work only this morning wearing my house ELC (its about 18 years old now) and thought exactly the same that yea, I never see anyone else wearing one and haven't in all my years commuting in Central London and thats few years!! Apart from shows I think IVe seen no more than a handful of guys wearing one - I did see a guy at an antiques market about 18mths ago - looked like a Goodwear and once saw a guy in a nicely patched jacket but yes they are a rare sight.
It's like I also wonder how many jackets say ELC have made since they started (1k, 5k??? anyone know - Gary must do) and how come we don't see them - London's a busy place but hey, that makes me feel a bit special that I'm not standing next to someone in the same jacket!!!

Cheers
Wayne

asiamiles

majormajor1 said:
In Tokyo you see quite a lot of repro flight jackets on the streets: MA-1's and N-1's are the most common, but also A-2's, B-10's, B-15's etc. In fact, it might make a person a little self-concious wearing one.

majormajor1

That's cool - I know most of the repro US jeans that I buy are produced purely for the Japanese market. I guess you guys are just more switched on :)

Marv

Same here, apart from the customary airshows, I have never seen anybody wearing an A2, G1 or Irvin for that matter.
I also own an Indy jacket and have only ever seen one other person wearing one, astonishingly at the same time I was wearing mine.....we sort gave each other an acknowledging look in both disbelief and surprise and then went on our seperate way.

colekwok

johnwayne said:
How co-incidental is that? I was on my way to work only this morning wearing my house ELC (its about 18 years old now) and thought exactly the same that yea, I never see anyone else wearing one and haven't in all my years commuting in Central London and thats few years!! Apart from shows I think IVe seen no more than a handful of guys wearing one - I did see a guy at an antiques market about 18mths ago - looked like a Goodwear and once saw a guy in a nicely patched jacket but yes they are a rare sight.
It's like I also wonder how many jackets say ELC have made since they started (1k, 5k??? anyone know - Gary must do) and how come we don't see them - London's a busy place but hey, that makes me feel a bit special that I'm not standing next to someone in the same jacket!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Wow, I hope we don't bump into each other in C.London! Or maybe not!?
I usually wear my ELC .50Cal when the weather is a little bit warmer!

Well as in Japan, the flight jackets, the like of A-2 and MA-1, are idolised by their TV star Takuya Kimura,
and of course, by Steve McQueen as well.

herk115

I swear I heard the opening theme from "Twelve O'clock High" and saw Dean Jagger walking around. Really good pics. Thanks for posting them!