• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Diamond Acme 21996 A-2..

DiamondDave

Gents,

This one is now for sale, should arrive in Seattle to have its throat clip added, tomorrow Wed 9-10, and then can wing its way to wherever...asking $900.00 USD. This "Combat Crew" version will retail for $1049 on my new improved website (soon), but I need to shift this one quickly, if possible.

Thanks all

DD

DiamondDave

CBI said:
people might want measurements

D'oh!

Size & Dimensions: this jacket is estimated as a vintage size 48
» 25.5" ..........Front length from bottom of collar to end of zipper
» 25.5" ..........Front chest width under arms
» 26.5" ..........Back width under arms
» Shoulder width: 20.5" ..........Back width straight between outer shoulder tips
» Sleeve length: 27.5" ..........Sleeve length from shoulder seam to end of cuffs

DiamondDave

B-Man2 said:
I'm not a FB person either...so I missed the detailed description. Is this horsehide?

No sir, this is a new format of steer hide that John and I have been developing for these "combat" versions of our jackets. It is Veg tanned aniline, with an additional aniline dye process to get just the right color. The hide is HWT first, cut, dyed and sewn, then distressed. This is becoming our proprietary method that we have created together.

DD

2BM2K

It is Veg tanned aniline, with an additional aniline dye process to get just the right color. The hide is HWT first, cut, dyed and sewn, then distressed.
Will there be a Chrome Tanned version?

DiamondDave

2BM2K said:
It is Veg tanned aniline, with an additional aniline dye process to get just the right color. The hide is HWT first, cut, dyed and sewn, then distressed.
Will there be a Chrome Tanned version?

LOL! This old nugget again... Ok, yes chrome tanned leather was eventually called out specifically by the Army, BUT that said, anyone who believes that the contractors just threw out all of the previously fine hides, is perhaps a bit naive. BOTH types of leather were used in tandem, and any estimation otherwise is silly. The military suddenly went from less than half a million men in uniform in 1941, to over 16 Million by the end of the war! Thus, the Army had to buy EVERYTHING that they could get their hands on. All of that said, yes, we now have definite proof that chrome tanned was indeed used, and preferred (Though JC has been telling people this for years, it took Gary's book to make it a fact) most military contracts state that the balance of whatever can usually be used "Until Exhausted" and THEN the new rules must be fulfilled.

Hope this helps in some way clear up this mystery. Unequivocal statements about "The Military NEVER", or "ALWAYS" are usually wrong, and one has but to look to find the thing which proves that statement false.

DD

A

Anonymous

Great work Dave.
Is there anybody who can tell the difference between chrome and veg tanned by just looking at the jacket?
So why care?

2BM2K

Is there anybody who can tell the difference between chrome and veg tanned by just looking at the jacket?
So why care?
If the object is to produce accurate A2 reproductions then, logically, the leather should be close as possible
to the original leather specification.

A choice of veg or chrome leather would be nice.

CBI

there's a thread or posts about Chrome tanned leather and why its not really an option. I think part of it is the process used today is so different than the 40's is not really the same thing hence no reason to do it. That's part of it anyway.

Not that it was my idea or anything but I remember many years ago asking/urging JC about making jackets with leather that has had the HWT and he seemed pretty reticent about doing it at the time. Glad he and others(?) are doing it now as it looks terrific. Best to do it before than then put the leather pieces together than afterwards!

unclegrumpy

CBI said:
Not that it was my idea or anything but I remember many years ago asking/urging JC about making jackets with leather that has had the HWT and he seemed pretty reticent about doing it at the time. Glad he and others(?) are doing it now as it looks terrific.
I have had similar conversations over the years as well, and am equally excited about the results and the future potential.

blackrat2

Has anyone on the site purchased one of these clones.
I would be really interested to see and hear how different the leathers look,not so much the scuffs but more from the hot water treatment side.
John maybe a side by side shot of pre and post treated leather would be a good addition to the site?

DiamondDave

NEW, photos of the jacket being worn by our own JC! As can be seen this is assuredly a size 48, and as such is a bit large on John... but the look is certainly there of a wartime Aero, IMHO.

DD

10670178_552530741513509_2554474049801295613_n.jpg

10696251_552530774846839_898115479373694408_n.jpg

10690018_552530754846841_4336328653220709592_n.jpg

10653715_552530748180175_992051359513497887_n.jpg

10622924_552530761513507_6814588245515502533_n.jpg

10676320_552530751513508_3389957893042799399_n.jpg

10660356_552530764846840_1971925905740409451_n.jpg

blackrat2

They look the part,really good drape and cut..tad shorter in the sleeves and that would suit him pretty well,although you could argue it is a tad loose but I like it

DiamondDave

2BM2K said:
Thanks for the reply. Is that a no then?

Update... I have found that a chrome tanned version of this leather is indeed available. That said, samples should arrive by the end of the week. Thanks 2BM2K for the boot to the head.

DD