• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need suggestion on Aero order

cknight

I'm ordering my first jacket from Aero. It will be a Highwayman + storm flap and snap collar + G1 pocket.
I will probably go with brown FQHH, but might go with the midweight or vintage brown because of the stiffness of the FQHH.

I live in Alabama, and would like a jacket that will be warm in the winter, but I could wear some in the spring and fall (if possible). I think the alpaca would be too hot. But I wonder if the cotton drill would be too thin. Maybe one of the wool blanket linings?

Also, what is a good length for the sleeves? Right now I'm thinking down to the first knuckle on the thumb (first being the one closest to the hand).

John Lever

Vintage brown hh is also fqhh so be careful if weight is an issue. They do a lighter horsehide that could be better for your climate. Call Amanda for more info.

Tommer45

I've never owned an Aero (I have my first one on order), but when I asked Mark Moye how warm the "Black Watch" tartan wool lining was, he said it was comparable to the alpaca. I don't know if that means the same for the other tartan wools (if you were looking at any of them) but it might.

Tommer

markc

I found the Alpaca a wee bit too warm in Summer. Plus, I wore it through at the neck in 18 months.

I've since had it replaced with heavyweight cotton drill which is plenty warm enough and should last a lot longer.

Cheers,

les_garten

I got a lot of Aero's

The Cotton Drill will last forever, but has no warm factor. It also has some texture that is stiff to the skin. NOT SOFT. Like lightweight sailcloth.

Tartan is probably distant second in Durability and so so in warmth, pretty thin

The Alpaca is a little warmer, but soft and not as durable

Get the FQHH, you'll regret it otherwise, it becomes like butter once it breaks, it will always have some body till your warmth softens it up. It will seem like it won't break in at all, and then it goes limp all over. You will get bruises when you first start wearing it on your arms. You'll find out if you're a man or a mouse!

Vintage Brown is nice!!

Vcruiser

Seriously,though,Tommer
If I remember correctly..you ordered the "Vintage" FQHH which is a tad lighter weight and more relaxed than the regular heavyweight FQHH. Not near the battle.
Van

Tommer45

Vcruiser said:
Really....no sweat,Tommer...
First couple of months...just use a stuntman... :!: :mrgreen:
Van

Ha! Got me to laugh out loud with that one. Actually as I'm sure you're aware I was joking about being a mouse.. I think if I can break in a LW I can break in anything. I'm looking forward to the process.

The jacket in your new avatar looks nice.. what is it?

Tommer

Vcruiser

Here's something a little different for a liner..tho probably too heavy for Alabama weather. Hvy blanket lining that Ken purchased from a Woolen mill. (Don't know if they still offer it)...it is heavier(coarse..nubby) and warmer and perhaps even more durable than their hvy cotton drill.
100_0434.jpg

However...this horse blanket type liner also somewhat stiffens up the jacket for awhile...until broken in.
100_0449.jpg

This is about the sleeve length that I prefer...although my Highwayman sleeve is a lttle longer..which is OK,too.
Van

Vcruiser

Tommer45 said:
Vcruiser said:
Really....no sweat,Tommer...
First couple of months...just use a stuntman... :!: :mrgreen:
Van

Ha! Got me to laugh out loud with that one. Actually as I'm sure you're aware I was joking about being a mouse.. I think if I can break in a LW I can break in anything. I'm looking forward to the process.

The jacket in your new avatar looks nice.. what is it?

Tommer

That's my extra Hvy weight FQHH highwayman. Now that was a bear..but now..comfy as a well worn houseslipper.
Van

cknight

I know I'm going with the FQHH brown, so hopefully I'm more man than mouse :D
I'm going with the HG-5 or a HG5-highwayman hybrid. I want the collar flaps and storm flap of the HG5, but can't decide on the cuffs, back panel, and bottom waist band. I'll go with one of the tartan liners.

I'm also getting a real deal A2, but can't decide between russet or seal+rust knits.

les_garten

cknight said:
I know I'm going with the FQHH brown, so hopefully I'm more man than mouse :D
I'm going with the HG-5 or a HG5-highwayman hybrid. I want the collar flaps and storm flap of the HG5, but can't decide on the cuffs, back panel, and bottom waist band. I'll go with one of the tartan liners.

I'm also getting a real deal A2, but can't decide between russet or seal+rust knits.

Can't go wrong with either Combo. The Real Deal Russet and Rust looked Matched. The Seal - Rust is High Contrast. Berry knits are REAL nice also!