• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

They are "lucky coins" and based on your pic, think the zipper has been replaced at some point.
IMG_2891.jpeg

Last edited:

Skyhawk

The zipper looks original. The photos are blurry and the puller is partially hidden by the leather tab. It looks like a triple marked Talon bell puller. Like an M40-41.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Jorge
Not sure that’s the case with the zipper replacement . This is an H&L Block M-422a I’m pretty sure this was made before the “paper clip” style pullers were being used.
The zipper definitely wouldn't be the "paperclip", as it started to be used on jackets in the 60's. But from the pictures, the zipper seem to be made of brass, unless it is just bad reflection from light. Attached is the pic of another H.L. Block with the correct Talon (Iron-alloy) zipper. Let's see better pics.
34C6C488-DE46-401A-AF19-F30F2CFCECBB.png

Mint example
BCF23954-D974-42E7-B307-1CC8BC99D922.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

The zipper definitely wouldn't be the "paperclip", as it started to be used on jackets in the 60's. But from the pictures, the zipper seem to be made of brass, unless it is just bad reflection from light. Attached is the pic of another H.L. Block with the correct Talon (Iron-alloy) zipper. Let's see better pics.View attachment 124883

Mint example
View attachment 124885
H&L Block frequently had brass zippers on their M-422As:
Untitled.jpg

(quoting from "A Better Fighting Garment", post #9)

Last edited:

Chandler

FWIW -- my AN has been identified as a Block (I believe) and has a brass talon -- marked on the front and back of the puller and has a number (31?) on the base box.

Skyhawk

FWIW -- my AN has been identified as a Block (I believe) and has a brass talon -- marked on the front and back of the puller and has a number (31?) o
FWIW -- my AN has been identified as a Block (I believe) and has a brass talon -- marked on the front and back of the puller and has a number (31?) on the base box.
Makes sense. That 31 box is from the mid 1940's.

Knich27

Okay so I was able to clean up the jacket a bit, haven’t gone through to really detail it though. Here are some better photos. From what I see the stitching looks to be in good shape. The collar and waist/ arm bands are in rough condition. I also attached a few photos of some of the documents I have, as well as a pdf file of more documents (I have many many more than what is shown in the pdf). Let me know your thoughts!
IMG_4352.jpeg
IMG_4355.jpeg
IMG_4365.jpeg
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_4361.jpeg
IMG_4368.jpeg
IMG_4364.jpeg

Last edited:

Erwin

Hey Knich27

Congratulations, absolutely fantastic grouping, rare m422a jacket with even more rare Japanese-made patches, all with proven provenience. One of the most interesting jackets on this forum [regarding genuine USMC jackets from the Korean War]. Looks like the condition is also very good in comparison to the first picture.

Do you have this aviator flight logbook? As per his son's message posted on one USMC website, this grouping should include it [this would increase the value a lot].

Knich27

Hey Knich27

Congratulations, absolutely fantastic grouping, rare m422a jacket with even more rare Japanese-made patches, all with proven provenience. One of the most interesting jackets on this forum [regarding genuine USMC jackets from the Korean War]. Looks like the condition is also very good in comparison to the first picture.

Do you have this aviator flight logbook? As per his son's message posted on one USMC website, this grouping should include it [this would increase the value a lot].
I will look through. I’m sure I do. I also have the historical diary from each day of several of his flights that I was able to pull offline that same website you sent me.

Erwin

Knich27,

Fantastic, with all these I can assume it might be the best documented USMC jacket here. I 100% agree with Grant@ that the National Museum of the Marine Corps would be the best place for displaying the jacket and related documents.