• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need A-2 flight jacket help

1970Novass

Another newbie question
I'm trying to put together a WW 2 replica European theatre leather A-2 flight jacket with patches.
This would include correct matching squadron patch and command patch and AAF patch
I've called Gibson-Barnes and they really had no idea how to help me except for me doing my own research. They would send an 'unaltered jacket' for me to try out for size and send it back to them for patches but can't help with matching them up. Plus Dave Marshall - the guy in the Gibson videos who seems to really know his stuff about this is no longer there.
They have a beautiful Flying Tiger A-2 but I'm looking for a European jacket
I'm 6'3 225 so looking for a 46 tall which Eastman and Kelso doesn't seem to have tall sizes - at least there doesn't seem to be tall sizes on their website
Any help would be helpful
Thanks in advance

RayR

1970Novass said:
Another newbie question
I'm trying to put together a WW 2 replica European theatre leather A-2 flight jacket with patches.
This would include correct matching squadron patch and command patch and AAF patch
I've called Gibson-Barnes and they really had no idea how to help me except for me doing my own research. They would send an 'unaltered jacket' for me to try out for size and send it back to them for patches but can't help with matching them up. Plus Dave Marshall - the guy in the Gibson videos who seems to really know his stuff about this is no longer there.
They have a beautiful Flying Tiger A-2 but I'm looking for a European jacket
I'm 6'3 225 so looking for a 46 tall which Eastman and Kelso doesn't seem to have tall sizes - at least there doesn't seem to be tall sizes on their website
Any help would be helpful
Thanks in advance

My brief experience is that Kelso will custom fit you, just email them and start a dialogue. The best of the best for overall knowledge (to the best of my knowledge) is John at Good Wear. Try contacting him about specific jacket details. If he doesn't know, I bet he knows who will.

a2jacketpatches

John Chapman is certainly the guy if you're looking for jacket specifics, and I can help with patching a jacket to represent the ETO
( European Theater of Operations )

I'm happy to help any way I can from concept to the execution of the patches. Feel free to take a look at what is presently available and keep in mind that I do custom work.

See this link to my Ebay store - http://stores.ebay.com/a2jacketpatches/

johnwayne

Pity your not a modern 42 as I'm soon to be letting go of an Eastman RW 1401 nicely patched 319th FS, 320th FG complete with correct tooled leather shoulder patches - the Flying Checkertails' who flew P51's based in Italy 1944. However a little research will get you almost any ETO based unit you wish, get an almost 'off the peg' jacket from ELC and our friend at A2jackets patches could supply the rest. Possibly, get patches first and ELC will sew them on for you but, would not the jacket back if wrong so maybe best to get jacket, try for fit and if ok they would still I'm sure retro sew the patches. Likewise Aeroleather Scotland would do the same. As big a fan as I am of JC and Goodwear jackets the only issue is the time you'll have to wait and the cost I think you'll find will be somewhat higher. You could of course seek a used repro on eBay if you could get your size as they do come up from time time and maybe add patches if you have someone capable - again research will show correct positioning or members here will help I'm sure. Best of luck whatever and perhaps post the results when you get it sorted!!
Cheers
Wayne