• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy G-1 Jacket Quality ?

442RCT

I went through my G-1 jacket 'collection', and I use the word collection loosely.
I have 2 Imperials, 1 Star Sportswear, 1 Ralph Edwards, 1 Ferguson of Oklahoma, and 2 with no labels.

I've heard the opinions of the Imperial and Ferguson...low in quality compared to other contracts.

How do the Star Sportswear and Ralph Edwards rate ? :?:

watchmanjimg

If I'm not mistaken, Ralph Edwards descended from Cagleco. My understanding is that both names are synonymous with high quality.

hacker

Star and Ralph Edwards are two of the best makers IMHO. Their earlier contracts tend to be first rate.

Hacker

Curahee

My top 5 from 1950 to 1966, 55J14 to MIL-J-7823(AER) to MIL-J-7823C, later contracts D and E have some nice jackets but lack character/class. For instance the mouton collar I really like but is gone after 1968, and the goatskin of especially the early '50's contracts had so much more grain and character than the '70's D and E series. The (embossed) cowhide marks the end of the original G-1 IMHO.

#1 L.W. Foster Sportswear Co. Inc.
#2 Cagleco/Ralph Edwards Sportswear Inc.
#3 Star Sportswear Co.
#4 A. Pritzker & Sons Inc
#5 Irvin B. Foster Sportswear Co.