• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N1 Issue or not?

Hi All;
Can some of you more knowledgeable collectors comment on the top jacket pictured in the link below? Moderators - If it is not permissible to post a link to another site please delete and accept my humble apologies. I recently acquired a jacket with an identical label and assumed it to be civie due to the absence of standard military labeling nomenclature.
Thanks and kindest regards - Tom
http://stumptown-traders.blogspot.com/2 ... -post.html

Peter Graham

The late 40's to early 50's seems to be the time when most of these copies were made. N-1, B-15, B-11 etc. There's not a lot of info on them out there. Judging by the zipper I'd say that one is 50's. Here's a thread from last year you may find interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15127

Yes - a very interesting thread. Thanks for the link. I double checked mine and not a hint of a manufacturers name anywhere. Maybe the makers started leaving their names off after the law suit?
Thanks - Tom

The markings on the back fit with how a piece of "organizational gear" would be labeled. Organizational gear is owned by the unit and either checked out to a sailor when they needed it or issued to them for their duration in that unit. The expectation is that it would be turned in to be used by others. HS-7 is a helicopter squadron that was established in 1956. Often times when a unit no longer needs certain gear or it wears out, it is turned into DRMO (defense reutilization and marketing office) they have changed names a couple of times in the last few years. I think they are DLS (Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services). The gear is either reissued to another unit by request or placed up for sale.

Because it does not have the correct tags in it, does not mean that it was not used by a Navy unit. It's very possible that the supply system could have been out of the jackets, so the units supply office could have gone to an outside civilian source to acquire the jackets. It happens all the time.