• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-3b with original sales reciept

ciddu

I'm following it, but I think the selling price will go way up...
I wonder, does the original air force sales receipt mean that it was sold on the civilian market and not issued to a USAF airman?

MikeyB-17

From reading the back of the receipt about removal of distinctive insignia (dunno how you're gonna get the USAF transfer off), I'd say this was sold off to the general public. I had a Southern Athletic Co. N-3B once, weighted a ton and wasn't really much fun to wear, they are definitely Artic flying clothing.

unclegrumpy

The receipt is from the used section of the Base Clothing Sales Store. To buy there, you would have needed to be in uniform, or have a military ID card to get on Base and then show it again to purchase something. The reason the guy kept the receipt, was to prove he bought the jacket, rather than was issued it.

The stuff about removing the insignia is to alert the buyer to that it was against the law for civilians to wear military issue clothing with insignia on it. At that time, the military was really pushing this, because the they were pissed that they kept seeing hippies and protesters wearing their uniforms.

ciddu

Thanks for the details about how Base Clothing Sales Store used to work - always nice to find out this kind of "inside" informations, so hard to know if you haven't been there.

It looks interesting, so i'll give it a try and bid, just hope the tear in the nylon by the hood is small as they say, and not too bad.

watchmanjimg

unclegrumpy said:
The reason the guy kept the receipt, was to prove he bought the jacket, rather than was issued it.

I've heard similar stories regarding the private possession of organizational items. Awhile back I was fortunate to acquire an new-in-wrap orange CWU-1/P flying suit that was stamped inside to reflect its purchase from a military clothing sales store.