• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-2B Parka - question

Marv

Just a quick question regarding the N-2B Parka, was the orignal colour Sage Green for all Services or did the USAF have it issued in Blue like their 50's flight jackets or was it only ever issued in the one colour.

Silver Surfer

good question, marv. i have only seen originals in sage, however, like many other 70s-00 af jackets, they may have been in blue as well. i recently posted in "what are you wearing?", that i have purchased a new black one made by alpha, and i am happy enough with it to have purchased another in sage. as i wrote, the new ones are a tad longer all around, thus making them realistic wearers. at $138-$160 they are a bargain, and at that price i did not see any point in purchasing an issued n-2b, with the usual frays, stains, knit issues, etc. i have seen the light, and have become a man of the cloth, hahahahaha.

Peter Graham

The N-2B was never made in blue however it's predecessor, the N-2A was. An original N-2A will also have a leather oxygen hose tab, a carryover from the original N-2.

Marv

thanks for the infomation guys, I am considering purchasing a new Alpha N-2B in sage green but as with the sizing not sure whether I would fit into a Large or XLarge depending on the cut of the jacket.

Is Alpha's jacket sizing true to fit or is sizing up or down required, I wouldn't be looking to layer underneath so just wearing a shirt or t-shirt is what I am looking at - my chest size ia 44 inches or 112 cm and shoulders fit comfortably anywhere between 19 -21 inches.

When looking at different sellers websites, the Alpha measurement for my chest size sometimes fluctuates between a L and XL so any advice on fit would be really appreciated.

Peter Graham

I've owned two original Alpha N-2B's and both have fitted true to size. The only Alpha repro I've owned, a B-15D, was way oversized, nearly two sizes big I'd say.

CBI

Try to search for an original issue jacket, they are many out there and not terribly expensive. Alpha repro stuff is just cheaply made for the most part.

Silver Surfer

the alpha n-2b that i have is just slightly over size, by way way of being a tad longer all around. so far, the construction of my jac seems just fine. i have had alpha jacs in the past, and some were crappy, some not. as to vintage, and or used originals, they may have been made better, but being cloth, often as not, they come with the usual issues of cloth jacs. thus, my reasoning for landing a new one, er, i mean two.

Peter Graham

as to vintage, and or used originals, they may have been made better, but being cloth, often as not, they come with the usual issues of cloth jacs. thus, my reasoning for landing a new one, er, i mean two.
Have to disagree with you on that. Nylon is a form of cloth, yes, but being man made it does not have the same wear issues as cotton or canvas. An original B-10 or N-1 will wear significantly quicker than a new repro because of the effects of age on the cloth and thread but nylon does not have these issues. It will fade a bit, yes, but the material itself will last many times longer. I've had nylon jackets from the 50's that were as strong as the day they were made, so if I were in the market for an N-2B I'd always look for an original if possible.

CBI

you can get original N-2B's made into the 70' and 80's???? that are in practically new condition. mine is close to mint for $100.

Marv

thanks chaps, i'll keep my eye out on the bay for anything that comes up, I have seen a few originals from the 70's - 80's in my size L or XL but have been at bit worst for wear with damaged cuffs and worn fur around the hood area.

One question, did all originals have the white'ish fur around the hood as the new Alpha's seem to have gone more for a brownish shade now instead.

NB> off on a slight tangent, I just managed to pick up a used Alpha MA-1 in sage green (indian orange lining - not made in USA but Vietnam) size XL in near mint condition for £30 plus postage so pretty made up with it as the fit is really good. I know the newer Alphas are made in China so not sure when this jacket was made but it's decent quality.

Peter Graham

Originals all had real coyote fur, which was brownish, until about 71 when they started using white synthetic fur. I guess Alpha are trying to replicate the original shade.