• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery G-1 #2

blaze424

Trying to identify the manufacturer of a recent G-1 I picked up.

It has heavily scalloped pocket flaps.

Stitched ventilation holes under the armpits -- with no metal hardware. (I seem to recall that this feature alone IDs it to a particular maker, but I can't resurrrect the thread here - or from my memory.)

And it has a very, very small "USN" stenciled into the windflap -- vertically, not horizontally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hacker

H & L Block stitched their vent holes, and had very scalloped pockets BUT they wouldn't have punched out USN in the wind flap. They also didn't produce a G-1, but you might have a modified M422a. Can't think of who else might have stitched the vent holes off hand.

Hacker

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Block M422A also have brass talons, a leather panel from the underarm to waistband, no horizontal stitching on the collar back, and a stencilled USN in yellow.

So quite distinctive ....

Block also had one contract for the AN6552 (AN-J-3A).

blaze424

It is a Block, all right.

It does have the extra panel from pit to waistband.

No paint under the collar (none left anyway if it was ever there).

But definitely the funky, tiny, vertical USN stencil on the windflap.

Any other way to ID differences between an M422 and a -6552?

TMB

Whilst the jacket is WW2, you'll find the little USN is retro, circa 1950s. Does it still have the original lining and fur? The lining should be a salmon red colour with a Block unique pleat down the centre of the back. If if doesn't have this then the jacket has had a military refit in the 1950s (and may well therefore have a dark green lining) when the USN would have been punched. I've had a couple of WW2 M-422as like this, with a smaller than normal sideways USN punch. Also if the collar fur has been changed there will be edvidence of re-stitching around its base.

From what you say though its definately a WW2 M-422a by Block probably having undergone a 1950s refit. The lack of USN is no surprise as this is often removed due to the fact that it implies its USN property.