• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 16th bombardment patch

A

Anonymous

I hadn't painted a patch in two months. So I decided I liked this design, and knocked it out while watching an episode of Foyles war (GREAT SERIES).
Picture100.jpg

dmar836

Well done! I just can't bring myself to sew one to a jacket. I fear I'd be wanting to change them too often and end up with a 5" hole in an A-2.
I suppose I could sew and sell but who isn't sick of all the freshly painted A-2s on Ebay? No offense to our members but searches always bring a plethora of these up.

I guess Marcel has the right idea and displays them appropriately.

I've decided to paint those that I have a connection to such as a piece in my collection named to a member of a squadron or group. That gives me an interest in the result.

Excellent job!

JMO as usual,
Dave

A

Anonymous

I agree, I would never patch out a high end jacket. But I have patched out a B-10, and several other less investment jackets. It's fun to wear your favorite squadrons. Lots of compliments, and questions that turn into a teachable moment, (schools don't teach jack these days).

CBI

If you really want to keep a high end jacket that is patched, why not? The annoyance on eBay is all the freshly painted artwork on crappy jackets! True, the high end jackets loose immense value with patches/paint but just the right combo is hard to beat.

442RCT

chitchat said:
I agree, I would never patch out a high end jacket. But I have patched out a B-10, and several other less investment jackets. It's fun to wear your favorite squadrons. Lots of compliments, and questions that turn into a teachable moment, (schools don't teach jack these days).

I'm in agreement with you in regards to patching out or painting a high end jacket. My one exception is an ELC I acquired specifically for a paint job I've been wanting. It's still being painted and I hope the paint does it justice...if it doesn't, yikes...I'm out the price of the jacket and paintjob. I just hope it turns out great !!! :lol:

As for teachable moments...those are few and far between for me. If they say anything, they just say, "That's a nice jacket you got there".

When I wore my CACW patched jacket, I was asked by a guy what the patches meant. When I told him, it was for the Chinese-American Composite Wing, his response was, "I didn't know the Chinese fought against the Japanese in WW 2." :roll:

ps- Nice job on the patch. Unlike you when I paint I can't multitask and watch the TV.

A

Anonymous

Being from California, I understand your education comments, kids these days along with a crap school system do not mix well.

capt71

chitchat said:
Being from California, I understand your education comments, kids these days along with a crap school system do not mix well.
Also being in California I'll modify it to: "....along with a crap California school system....." Thank you ex-Gov. Schwarzenneger! :evil:

442RCT

CBI said:
If you really want to keep a high end jacket that is patched, why not? The annoyance on eBay is all the freshly painted artwork on crappy jackets! True, the high end jackets loose immense value with patches/paint but just the right combo is hard to beat.

I have three high end jackets, an Aero, and 2 RMs, that were acquired pre-painted with what I thought were really good paint jobs (I know this is subjective...since I can appreciate any and all paint jobs, period folk art to modern day jacket art). So I agree with you about the right combo of good paint going on a really nice jacket. I had a friend make an observation about having a $ 500 paint job on a $ 100 jacket. :oops:

"Big Beautiful Doll" is a Real McCoy painted by a Japanese artist, "Winn's Warrior's" is an Aero painted by Jerome, and "Memphis Belle" is an Real McCoy painted by a guy who paints motorcycles. I just likes'em because I think they're well done. :mrgreen:
DSCF0015.jpg

dmar836

442 RTC,
Remember the conversation about a "V" shape to the overall layout? Those three all appear to have it.
Dave

CBI

painted Eastmans:

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

PA210306.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

Painted Good Wear
IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

sorry this is old stuff but no time recently for jacket painting

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey Chit Chat, just a suggestion , but if you really like to do and wear patches on a "specific" jacket , have you ever thought of putting on velcro to the patch/jacket ?????? This way if you stayed in a specific size range and squadron/group you could cahnge them out from time to time and wear many different ones !

Most Squadrons were on a round background and the same for Group patches , they were usually "shield" shaped , any I thought I'd run that idea by you for your opinion.
Johnny

442RCT

CBI said:
painted Eastmans:

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

PA210306.jpg

sorry this is old stuff but no time recently for jacket painting

If this jacket had been close to my size, I would have bought it when you had it up for sale, I almost popped for it just because of the artwork even though it was 2 sizes too big for me. :roll: I thought the execution of the art was great and the aging was perfect. ;) :p

zoomer

Velcro too leaves stitch holes - and looks lousy with no patch on it.

There is a thin, flexible magnetic sheeting made for signs on vehicles. You could cut out the diameter of a patch, sew a hoop of steel wire to the back of the patch (giving you authentic-looking stitches), then voomp! stick 'em together non-destructively thru the jacket and liner (if the magnetism was strong enough to travel thru both).

Something similar - a little metal holder and magnetic backplate - was used in WW2 and earlier for affixing patches in remote areas where wool uniforms had to be handwashed. The dyes in the patches would run, so they had to come off and go back on easily.

A

Anonymous

CBI makes a good point. If you have the great art work he has on his jackets, I can't see a devaluation if one was sold.

442RCT

chitchat said:
CBI makes a good point. If you have the great art work he has on his jackets, I can't see a devaluation if one was sold.
It depends on what you call devaluation. A used, well cared for high end repro jacket will usually sell for the same price, unpainted/patched or with a good paint/patch job. What money the seller will be out is what he paid for the paint job. A good paint job normally doesn't add to the value of a repo jacket, but a bad paint job will devalue the price of a high end repo. Recently on eBay a seller had to relist a badly painted Aero at a lower starting price in order to sell it.

EMBLEMHUNTER

zoomer said:
Velcro too leaves stitch holes - and looks lousy with no patch on it.
Yes I know velcro leaves stitch holes, but if it's going on a jacket he will keep then it wouldn't matter, and if he changes out the patch from time to time there would always be one on it rather than being blank .
Johnny

There is a thin, flexible magnetic sheeting made for signs on vehicles. You could cut out the diameter of a patch, sew a hoop of steel wire to the back of the patch (giving you authentic-looking stitches), then voomp! stick 'em together non-destructively thru the jacket and liner (if the magnetism was strong enough to travel thru both).

Something similar - a little metal holder and magnetic backplate - was used in WW2 and earlier for affixing patches in remote areas where wool uniforms had to be handwashed. The dyes in the patches would run, so they had to come off and go back on easily.

dmar836

I think the issue is limiting the jacket to a certain unit or theater. Also, a nice A-2 can be worn with dress casual to a nice dinner etc. Walk into a decent restaurant with a wait while wearing some of them and you will certainly be viewed as a wannabe that just wants attention.
JMO,
Dave