• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M65... quirky extravagance.

Tim P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

not even militarybut I have always liked duck hunter and have put joke bids on similar ones before, this one in a size I can use I decided to up the anti for.

I think I paid over the odds but its done now. quite a departure from my norm but you don't really see them that much. hope its useable when I get it.

watchmanjimg

Tim:

That's an odd one, but I don't mean this in a bad way. I can only assume it's strictly commercial, but Sew-So made plenty of garments under government contract and the General zippers are seen in various items produced during the '70s and possibly thereafter. You may have paid a bit more than some M-65s bring, but this type doesn't come along every day and the size is also a factor. Let us know how it turns out.

Tim P

I dont know what came over me but you see them in OD, woodland, desert, choc chip digicam marpat blue black tan and so on but this one is an oddity.

i once had to pass up a mil spec private purchase tailor made mitchell pattern one cos it was way too small and this is the closest I have seen since, i have seen so sew items and am familiar with their mil spec reputation so I hope for a rugged jacket that I can maybe camp in without going down the current soldeir wannabe route.

Tim P

well it arrived and I have to say my reaction was WOW
not in a good way.
It has been hung in the sun or something and parts of it are brittle ( the lower hem) and torn. The base colour has faded to ivory and the rest of the print was bold as you like.
I wouldnt be seen dead in it.
It is in the washing machine at the moment being washed after I dyed it olive green. I have not used a full pack of dye but having checked it and the duplicate shirt I put in with it , I had two white/blue shirts the same, the colour is ok ,more by luck than judgement. The hem is now all torn so I will need to redo that, no biggie on the sewing machine. This is my stop gap til a large long, factory made mitchell pattern (vietnam helmet covers and USMC Shelter halves) example comes up.
I think the olive dye will refresh the base colour without compromising the look of the jacket and make the whole thing more wearable.

watchmanjimg

Sorry to hear this, Tim, but perhaps you can get some use out of it now. There was a militaria show here in Orlando this past Saturday and I was fortunate to acquire a nice '67-dated M-65. I've been wanting one for some time, having examples of the first pattern as well as '68 and '69-dated jackets in my inventory.

Tim P

I am confident that it will be th better for it. Were it a military collectible I would not make such a move but it is a mil spec civvy item and as such of no historic value in my terms. hope the wash mutes it to the right degree.