• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M-422A Arrived Yesterday

entertainment

"Permanently affixed garment-care labels were required in the U.S. beginning in 1972." according to the vintagefashionguild.com
Given the "L" label rather than a chest size, it is probably even later.
I would call that one more B-3 inspired than a repro with the pockets and cuffs (despite the label). But looks like a nice quality jacket.

tda003

Please tell me more about the cuffs. I thought B-3 jackets had cuffs. They appear in WWII photos, though shorter. These were turned up more, but aren't sewn up. What's the difference?

Spitfireace

B'3s had about a three inch strip of leather around the end of the sleeve forming a cuff. The Irvin did not and just had the end of the sleeve turned up to reveal about an inch or so of sheep fleece. No handwarmer pockets in the B-3 or Irvin.

tda003

No zipper. It's a B-3 type, not Irvin.

However, I have an AMAZING Irvin repro I'll post there as soon as I down load the photos.

tda003

Back to my M-422A. It's named in the lining to "Lt. E A Reed", but no branch of service (USN or USMC). Navy tended to put patches on their flight jackets and this has never had a patch sewn nor has it ever had a name tag applied. Is there a way to research this officer? He may not even be a pilot as these sometimes found their way to non-aviation folks. Some were even "midnight requisitioned".

My father got a pair of Para Marine jump boots this way from an NCO he successfully defended who was accused of stealing some. Jump boots were rough out, had higher tops than boondockers and laced all the way up as opposed to the hook system.

Can anyone tell me how to research Lt. Reed? Thanks.

tda003

FWIW. I found 2nd. Lt. Everett A. Reed in 2 different locations in January 1944. One at the Aviation Detachment, Marine Barracks, Marine Aviation Training Center, NAS, Corpus Christi, Tx. The second, also January 1944, Marine Aviation Detachment, Naval Air Gunners School, Hollywood, FL. Not sure how that works, but guessing there weren't 2 2nd lieutenants with that name. I can't find anything further, so I don't know what became of him.

MikeyB-17

Have a look here (although that contract’s date is uncertain):-

tda003

Sadly, researching @nd Lt. Everett A Reed, I found out that he enlisted in what the news article listed as the "Navy Air Corps" in July, 1942. He received his Naval Aviator wings on December 24, 1943 in Corpus Christi, TX, attended aerial gunnery school in Hollywood, FL in January 1944 and was killed in a flight crash in Southern California on March 21, 1944.