• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My M-422A Arrived Yesterday

tda003

I received this yesterday. I really nice example. I'm showing all its warts, I expect with matching, or closely so, yarn the holes/pulls can be repaired to avoid further damage. I like the collar just as it is. It's named on the lining to "Lt. E A Reed' I don't know if that's USN or USMC. I'll do several posts to show all of the pictures. I'll take more if desired.
M-422A.01.jpg
M-422A.1.jpg
M-422A.02.jpg
M-422A.2.jpg

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Congratulations! That's what I was talking about when I mentioned finding a better condition example that doesn't need much work. Now you've really got something there that you can be proud of.

tda003

Thanks for the feedback. In regard to the B-3, I have the before pictures that I can post. The after won't happen until I get it back from Arrow. I have a G-1 "C" type, coming back next week that was, I thought, seriously perished. I didn't take before pictures since I thought it was a lost cause. I'll post pictures when I get it.

As an aside, I was so sure it was totaled, that I purchased another G-1, "D" series, goat skin, but Dynel collar. I intended to replace the cuffs and have a mouton collar put on, but now there's no need. Not sure of my next step. Replace cuffs or not and pass it on or keep it to use when the weather report indicates a major "suck factor".

Last edited:

tda003

As I was researching just now, I can't find any info on B-3 flight jackets. Where can I find it? I'd like to know exactly what I have Genuine or repro. Doesn't matter in terms of restoring it, but nice to know. Maker of mine is Excelled and although they made jackets for the military during WWII, I don't know if they made B-3 flight jackets. Any information?

mulceber

As I was researching just now, I can't find any info on B-3 flight jackets. Where can I find it? I'd like to know exactly what I have Genuine or repro. Doesn't matter in terms of restoring it, but nice to know. Maker of mine is Excelled and although they made jackets for the military during WWII, I don't know if they made B-3 flight jackets. Any information?

You might want to tell us who this maker is. ;) I will say, there's only a couple instances I can think of where an original maker later on made repros, and none of them were B-3s.

tda003

Maker is Excelled. I may be able to find a picture of the label and, if so, will post it.

mulceber

Hmm, none of the sources I know of list that company as one of the original manufacturers of B-3s. I tend to think it's a repro (maybe an early repro?), but it never hurts to see pictures. :)

tda003

It is a nice jacket. It's a lot thicker than the Schott repros. Didn't know anything about B-3 jackets or even that there was such a thing when I bought it. Knew those jackets looked WAY COOL while watching "Battle of Britain". Didn't even know they were Irvin. Searched it spelling "Irwin" based on a vague memory from back when the earth was cooling Once I had the name spelled correctly, I searched eBay and saw listings which had "Irvin", "B-3" and "Bomber Jacket" in the listing and decided to go American. Got this at a bargain price. Decided to have the exterior redone to better repel rain should that occur and then decided, What the he!! Then found VLJ and here I am.