• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

CK90

@CK90 Congratulations, that looks awesome! Very excited for you. Do you recall which leather source John used for this one?
Thank you sir, can't wait for this bad boy to arrive! Yep, so this one is a Chrome tanned, analine finished, particularly grainy goatskin he got a few years back from Mexico. Very akin to an original, I wanted to have one chrome tanned Navy jacket in the collection that could really face the elements and take some abuse, I reckon I've found it.

I think he has some fresh veg tanned goatskin from Mexico, I saw a Dubow he'd made using it and it's out of this world.

Sideslip

Just heard from John last week, very very excited. There is a choice of leathers for the ANJ3A. I am humming and hawing between the new 2024 Mexican vs the Pakistani goatskin. Can anyone comment on their experience with either? Ultimately, I am more than happy to be guided by John's expertise, but interested in your thoughts as well (hoping he does not mind me reproduce this photo here).

Goatskin_Types.jpg

CK90

Just heard from John last week, very very excited. There is a choice of leathers for the ANJ3A. I am humming and hawing between the new 2024 Mexican vs the Pakistani goatskin. Can anyone comment on their experience with either? Ultimately, I am more than happy to be guided by John's expertise, but interested in your thoughts as well (hoping he does not mind me reproduce this photo here).

View attachment 142775
Sideslip, it's going to be hard to go wrong with either of your two top choices. Perhaps some of the guys can comment about the Pakistani goatskin, as I know it's regarded highly.

I can comment on the new Mexican goatskin, as JC shared some images of an A-2 he'd used it for. He's bang on regarding dramatic, it is real luxury I have to say, it's seal brown but has these subtle russet undertones coming through, the grain and texture is really something.

From what I've seen, the Pakistani variety would be a tighter more uniform hide, with the new Mexican having a little more variation in the grain the way it's finished as you can see in the image above.

I have a Perry A-2 in mind and without a doubt, I'll be asking JC to use the new Mexican hide, it really is something.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

View attachment 142775

I was not aware of there being quite so many choices for goatskin by Goodwear. The Mexican skins look great too. Did JC elaborate on the differences between the various options? Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:

mulceber

View attachment 142775
And since the goatskin used on my Switlik was listed as an option, here are a couple pics of that, for the sake of comparison:
BDE83D42-72DB-4809-AAF4-9F60FFA08C32_1_105_c.jpeg

473E7C10-CD14-482D-B8FF-C30F34D89668_1_105_c.jpeg

mulceber

Something very special about this hide, I think it might be the light vs dark tones and that texture - have this in mind for a Monarch M-422 one day.
It's a good leather for the M-422 series. Has a bit more heft than the later Navy jackets. The texture is a bit oilier than most jacket leathers I've seen, but it's some really nice stuff.

Just as an aside, how do you find the fit on the 18091 vs the 27752?
Well they were made in different sizes. For the 27752 I went for the classic Rough Wear, which John tells me has a bit of a wider back panel which produces more blousing. It's also a small 44, so it's a nice relaxed fit. The 18091 is much more fitted. It's great with a t-shirt, maybe a dress shirt, but it wouldn't allow for any layering.

CK90

It's a good leather for the M-422 series. Has a bit more heft than the later Navy jackets. The texture is a bit oilier than most jacket leathers I've seen, but it's some really nice stuff.

Well they were made in different sizes. For the 27752 I went for the classic Rough Wear, which John tells me has a bit of a wider back panel which produces more blousing. It's also a small 44, so it's a nice relaxed fit. The 18091 is much more fitted. It's great with a t-shirt, maybe a dress shirt, but it wouldn't allow for any layering.
Much appreciated man. I'm all about that classic RW cut, just doesn't get any better for me. You have some seriously, seriously killer leather in your collection!!