• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my first vintage jacket

SuinBruin

This forum has been a bad influence on me.

After warming up more and more to the Navy jackets I broke down and bought an original G&F M-422A on eBay. It arrived yesterday. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281005112860

IMGP0608.JPG

IMGP0609.JPG

IMGP0610.JPG

IMGP0611.JPG

The jacket is in pretty good condition, with a few issues. The label is beat up and there are some holes in the lining. There are a few areas where the finish of the goatskin is flaking off, though it doesn't appear to affect the integrity of the leather. The wrist knits have been replaced recently -- they appear to be all wool and good quality but are very snug. They don't match the waist knit and I can't tell if they are appropriate to the jacket.

The jacket fits pretty well -- maybe slightly short in the sleeves. I'll try to post some fit pics later.

I have some questions about what to do with the jacket. Is it worth investing in? Should I bother getting the knits replaced? What about the mouton? Is the condition of the goatskin a concern? Should I put some Pecards on the worn spots? Get it relined? Were would be a good place to get work done on it if I decide to do it? Any input/advice appreciated.

Roughwear

Congratulations of securing a G&F M422A for a very reasonable price. I would only give it a light coat of Pecards. The wear on the mouton adds character to the jacket and the replacement cuffs look ok to me. You could replace them with Mash knits I guess, but I would leave them as they are for the time being. The snags on the lining could be repaired, but I would not have it relined. The less that is done to it the better it will hold its value IMO.

Peter Graham

Andrew is right. Leave it alone. The most important parts are intact, the label and the zipper. The jacket is in good wearable condition so just wear it and enjoy it.

Skip

Nice lookin' jacket...

Out of curiosity, the tag states 42 and seller said it was more like a 38, I be interested in your opinion of what the jacket feels like when on, as thats quite a size leap.

Being reasonably new :mrgreen: to the sizing of original jackets I get a little confused, as sizes and fit vary between jackets somewhat or is that more just the A-2 ???

cheers Skip

Roughwear

Skip said:
Nice lookin' jacket...

Out of curiosity, the tag states 42 and seller said it was more like a 38, I be interested in your opinion of what the jacket feels like when on, as thats quite a size leap.

Being reasonably new :mrgreen: to the sizing of original jackets I get a little confused, as sizes and fit vary between jackets somewhat or is that more just the A-2 ???

cheers Skip

I own a tagged size 42 G&F M422A and the measurements are similar to the ones given. The measurement for the chest may be a little off.

Measurements for this jacket are: shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the back – 18.5 inches, shoulder seam to the end of the cuff material – 25 inches, base seam of collar to bottom of waistband material - 27 inches. Armpit to armpit across the front - 24 inches (expanded).

Here's a link to thread on my G&F jacket-http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13254

A wartime size 38 M422A would have about a 20" pit to pit measurement.

Naval jackets varied in size from contractor to contractor as did wartime A2s. There was also at times significant variation in size within contracts.

Skip

Thanks Andrew, that helps a lot. If in doubt always get the measurements, seems to be the way to go and use the tag as a general idea.

Looks like I'm a 42ish fit then...

SuinBruin

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I gave the jacket a very light coat of Pecards and have been hanging it outside to get some of the musty smell out. I was looking for a vintage jacket that showed its age but was still wearable and had all the right details (extant spec label, no stitch marks, etc.). I think this will fit the bill for occasional wear.

As for sizing, I wear a 40 long (6'1" tall, 185 lbs. or so, 16-35 dress shirt) and this jacket is just about right on me. Another half inch in the sleeve would be ideal but I'm not going to quibble.

ciddu

Welcome to the "G&F M422a club"!
You sure have got a great jacket at a bargain price.
Enjoy it!

bretron

Congrats! We gotta see some fit pics ;)

I love how accessible they are price-wise; come with all the history and character as A2s lest the sticker shock. Am taking receipt of my 4th or 5th pre-Vietnam War g1 later this week... Watch out its a slippery slope :lol: