• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my first RAF flight helmet

dujardin

helloooooooo

more than happy to present my recent buy
i bought this to a good friend on this forum

a nice type C second pattern

7196186734_fc05f0cda4_c.jpg

7196187786_747f27abc9_b.jpg

7196187186_423c61d698_c.jpg

7196186428_e7d5ef59db_c.jpg

7196185576_ac73235548_c.jpg

7196187544_074a222a46_z.jpg

now, need to take decision, USAAF head or stricly RAF head ???
i think it will be RAF

and also now, time to found a Type G oxy mask and RAF flight goggle
byeeeeeeeeee
marcel

Peter Graham

That's a nice helmet Marcel. Looks to be in great shape. Your collection is moving in another direction. You need an Irvin now. :)

dmar836

Marcel,

These were so often used by USAAF airmen, you could go either way. The cost of RAF O2 masks and goggles has held me back from the RAF display.

Dave

Andrew

That's Flying helmet Marcel... ;) Always liked the Type C. You have a WWII one too as opposed to post War as they made these well into the 1950's (it only has two straps at the back instead of 4).

Those two tabs where the loom exits at the rear were to bind the loom to the helmet to stop it being puller out. They used to wrap waxed thread around the outside of the straps and trhe loom to bundle it all together.

nice

Dave, i'm sure i've seen an A-14 mask fitted to these somewhere...

dujardin

yessssssssssss

check into Gear Up, you will found enought pics of this one used; mixed with USAAF oxy and or goggles

Lebensgefahr

Andrew said:
That's Flying helmet Marcel... ;) Always liked the Type C. You have a WWII one too as opposed to post War as they made these well into the 1950's (it only has two straps at the back instead of 4).

I don`t know that it`s correct to assume that all 4 strap C helmets are post war as i have wartime dated AP`s for late pattern D & E helmets which all came with the four straps and these are seen in many wartime photos.While i don`t doubt that an awful lot of them are post war i don`t think we can safely say that they all are.Just my five penneth :mrgreen:

Marcel,you can always go with the Mk V111 goggles/H mask option.

dujardin

thankssssssssssss

think i will stay on the idea of oxy type Estar or G and goggles mark VIII

just need a nice display head and a white scarf
result will be great

more than probably to take place in my living room ;)

CHECK6

The begining of the Belgian spitfire pilot in the usaaf tribute (Lt Charles jj Goffin)Marcel ,do you remember???

bebel

Marcel, well done!
This pattern is a good model for a end of war pilot. Personally I would prefer a complete RAF head with a type G mask and Mk VIII goggles. A ww2 dated type H is hard to find!
Franck

Lebensgefahr

The helmet you have is definitely war time,the last version had two extra straps on the back.While the version with the two extra straps could well be only post war there is no definitive evidence to prove that it was not first made late war.
For example,i have a 45 dated H mask but the mike in it is dated 1943 so with regard to the helmet it`s not beyond the realms of possibility.
Let me know if you want any photos and i`ll send you some.

All the best
LG

Lebensgefahr

Hello Marcel

As requested i have posted some pictures of a wartime H mask
[i
DSC01220.jpg
mg][/img]
Please note,large microphone,brown flecked wire,large plug and green shroud where the wire enters the mask.The large microphones were also used in post war masks so only use this as a starting point.If they have the small mike as per the auction you sent me they are definitely post war.

DSC01221.jpg

This is the important bit,these numbers date this mask to Feb 45 so it is vital to check what numbers are marked here.If the numbers were 6-56 then this would date the mask to June 1956.This marking is on the opposite side to where the loom enters the mask and just below the microphone.

DSC012221.jpg

Lastly,on postwar masks this retaining clip usually has a roller on it.

DSC01223.jpg

Lastly,here is a photo of the back of a late pattern C helmet.

I hope this helps. :roll:
All the best
LG

dujardin

thanks gents

thanks for the details and infos LB
will place that in my file
sure it will help me, and probably other members

thanks a lot

marcel