• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first patch

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Having been inspired by the many excellent patches made by members of this forum, I thought I'd have a go myself. I painted my first patch this morning, and wanted to run it by you for any feedback/tips, etc. It's painted onto leather (cowhide I think) and looks pretty new at the moment. I think I may have a go at ageing it at some point.

21stBombSquadronsml.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Jon

442RCT

Welcome to the SPP (Society of Patch Painters) ;)
Ya done good work there.
A couple more patches and you'll be ready to take on a jacket back...trust me, you WILL do it. :lol:

ps- I have a long sleeved t shirt with that patch on it. :)

drew parker

Hi Jon, The patch look's great. That's the same patch that i've been wanting to paint. I know it's the 21st bs but what bg & what air force is it?

442RCT

As far as theatre acquired patches, whether embroidered, a painted patch, painted directly onto the jacket, a chenille patch, wire bullion, layered leather, incised leather, decal transfer on leather, silk screened onto leather or canvas, silk or felt embroidered, or whatever the local craftsman used...I think it's all good.

If you painted this patch with acrylic paint, I may have some bad news for you in regards to aging it. On one of my old acrylic painted patches I just finished two, two hour cycles in a vibrating rock polisher filled with sharp gravel and red lava rock, with a running hot water, vigorous, toothbrush scrub with dish soap after each cycle, and it didn't seem to do much in the way of aging.

The pic on the left was after 2 hrs. The pic on the right was after the 2nd 2 hrs.
DSCF0035-1.jpg

I'm planning on trying another 2 hour cycle tomorrow. I don't want to do a real long cycle all at once...although after 4 hours, I'm thinking acrylic paint on leather is pretty much bullet proof.

jonnyboy

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Really appreciated.

The patch is painted with acrylics. I'm not so bothered if it doesn't age too easily - I'd rather that than all the paint peel off after 5 minutes!

My workload isn't huge today, so I can feel another patch coming on! What's it to be....

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Sorry 442RCT, I never was very good at heeding warnings! :)

I painted another patch this morning, and I appear to have been bitten by the bug. Not sure if this one has worked out too well, but it was fun to paint.

VictorvilleAAFBasesml.jpg

Just looked at the link to the fedora lounge thread on jacket art. God help me - looks like it's a slippery slope once you start!

Cheers,

Jon

442RCT

That looks great ! Good shading, etc. You have talent. ;) :D

I started off with a panda bear and naked angels. :oops:

jonnyboy

Thanks 442RCT - glad you like it.

There's nothing wrong with panda bears and naked angels. Except maybe together. Hang on, isn't there a film with that...

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

Thanks Atkins - yes I traced it from the toonsatwar site. There are some great original sketches on there.

Glad you like the new ones 442RCT. I've had a pretty quiet week work-wise, so have had a bit of time on my hands. :)

Thanks for the link to the bluejacket site - what a great resource. Thanks too for the ATC pic - defintely one for the to do list!

Cheers,

Jon

jonnyboy

I had to have a quick go at the ATC patch, 442RCT. I'm quite happy with it, but it's not as close to the original as I'd have liked. I think I may have another go, or maybe try it with a more Vargas style lady on it.

ATCpatchsml.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Jon

442RCT

jonnyboy said:
I had to have a quick go at the ATC patch, 442RCT. I'm quite happy with it, but it's not as close to the original as I'd have liked. I think I may have another go, or maybe try it with a more Vargas style lady on it.
Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Jon

That's excellent work, I like it, good colors, great detail, a steady hand...you beat me to it, I was planning on painting one for myself this weekend if I had some free time. (I'm also finishing up my "Go For Broke", pin-up girl jacket).

I'll be looking forward to seeing your Vargas style girl. This wasn't a real patch, but you might want to use it:
fortheboys8thAF.gif

Also, if you didn't catch this thread, ya might want to give it a look... :eek:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5923
Personally I like the girl depicted on the red bomb better, but the green bomb is more 'period' looking. :lol: