• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my first original G-1

Griffon_301

just a quick spoiler here....

20230824_132609.jpg

maybe not the most desirable of the lot but nevertheless my first original G-1 :)

will post more pictures and a nice background story about how I got it, involving a great gentleman from the community here later :D

Griffon_301

Burt,

you can bet :) knowing what Gary currently wants for his M-422a and G-1 Repros, this baby cost me about a quarter of their retail price...
granted, the Knits have holes and are torn in a few places (and probably need to be replaced in the future) and the collar is a Dynel (or how that one is called) version, but the leather is still great with lots of life in it and I wanted a daily wearer that can take anything life and weather throws at it here where I live...

will post fit pics once the weather allows for wearing a jacket again for a few minutes without melting or sweating to death...

coincidentally I got my second original USN jacket also today, an A-2 Deck Jacket with a nice stencil on the back :)

ZuZu

Burt,

you can bet :) knowing what Gary currently wants for his M-422a and G-1 Repros, this baby cost me about a quarter of their retail price...
granted, the Knits have holes and are torn in a few places (and probably need to be replaced in the future) and the collar is a Dynel (or how that one is called) version, but the leather is still great with lots of life in it and I wanted a daily wearer that can take anything life and weather throws at it here where I live...

will post fit pics once the weather allows for wearing a jacket again for a few minutes without melting or sweating to death...

coincidentally I got my second original USN jacket also today, an A-2 Deck Jacket with a nice stencil on the back :)
The Stars still had the great goatskin at that time. If you really wanted to expend the effort you could have the collar changed out to mouton and still be more or less within reality!

Thomas Koehle

i was thinking about that already too but then it would not be a original jacket anymore...so I guess I am going to stick with what I got and enjoy wearing a original that is older than I am myself and wear it with joy and pride :)
I’m with your opinion - the “feel” of a real mouton collar absolutely beats that “artificial fur” by far but I also do not plan to swap the collars

Different with the knittings - if they are too far gone I change them for sure in order to make the jacket wearable again

Just a hint: I had 2 G1 at the seamstress to change the knits and when I picked them up the waist-knit was way too loose - so better let your taylor properly measure your dimensions in order to get it done correct at the first shot

Last edited:

Griffon_301

just for the record, here it is, fresh back from the seamstress...
she said she really loved the leather and could not believe that the jacket is over fifty years old...
and the Mash knits are just damn great!

all together, the jacket cost me something around 550 Euros now, still less than a repro and she is looking just great!
20231017_124617.jpg

Griffon_301

ah well, the logistics and cost of having knits or other breakable stuff replaced if needed add up to quite a small amount themselves....

in my case, the knits, p&p costs from Japan, customs fees and the seemstress bill added up to more than I had spent for the jacket originally.

but it all was/is definitely worth it-the 7823D may not be a highly desirable contract to collect, but as a daily wearer it is a superb jacket, it looks sharp and it is extremely comfortable to wear...I am loving this jacket already after only wearing it for maybe two hours...

Brettafett

Phil, great jacket and worth the effort. looks really good and great fit.

Can you show a closer pic of the cuffs. How do you find them?
Im trying to source decent knit for a couple of my G-1s...
Last MASH knit I had was around 3 years ago. Felt a bit loose... And they flopped out pretty quick. Yours look nice.