• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Irvin !

bombs away

Hello,

Finally, after months of hesitation (I'm collecting USAAF uniforms and gear, but so many US airmen used RAF equipment that I finally have enough RAF items in my collection to make a RAF display), I've just had a nice opportunity on an Irvin jacket that helped me to take my decision.

I'm a newbie in Irvin jackets so any information would be welcomed.
I know it's called a late war Irvin because it's "multi panelled", but what period is considered "late war" ?
Any idea of a maker ?
No label inside, but it's a nice size 42 (I wear a 44 and it's just a bit short on the body but long enough on the sleeves).

I must admit that the quality of RAF equipment is always a step further than the US ones. I knew this about flight gloves, flight helmets or flight boots (and the US airmen weren't fool to run after these items !), but with this Irvin, here also the superior quality of the English stuff is amazing.
I own a few B-3s to compare, but the Irvin is far better made. Strong zippers, quality of the shearling, comfort, zippers on the sleeves, waistbelt... all is very usefull, and stronger !
And I just have a late war pattern, I just can imagine that pre-war ones are even better.

Let the pictures speak by themselves :
4089286611_7a305d5b18_b.jpg

4089286899_2b85dccdf5_b.jpg

4089288085_f6d9eb15f9_b.jpg

4089287631_0bba0284a2_b.jpg

4090063318_9d7c56a364.jpg

And... in situation :
4089288567_9824057822_b.jpg

Tim.

Roughwear

Hi Tim. Congratulations on your first Irvin. Yes they are usually more robust than B-3s. Your jacket is by Links, the rounded collar is a give-away plus the thicker buckle which I have only seen on some of their jackets. This one appears to date from 1942-3 as their 1943 contract was made of more panels. They are not the premier maker as the construction quality, whilst being good is generally not as good as Irvin Air Chute or DGL. The Lightning sleeve zips are original to the jacket, but the main zip slider and puller are post War, and the zip may be too, but I would need a close-up of the bottom to be sure. The tan coloured leather seam strips to which the zip's track is sewn may be later replacements too. If you post the measurements I will tell you what size the jacket originally was, perhaps a size 4?

Jason

Almost a carbon copy of my Irvin in almost every way... looking good too. I just love the copper tones of the fleece in these :D

bombs away

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.
And a particular thank to Andrew, your knowledge in Irvin jackets is always amazing !

Tim.

Andrew

Lovely solid Irvin Tim, and of a condition to match your other excellent gear. I can't fault the display either- externally wired first pattern Type C helmet circa '41, MkViii goggles, Type G O2 mask, faded '41 pattern Mae West (it even has a bladder), slant zip gauntlets and Suits Aircrew. Very good, what kind of boots is he wearing, '40 pattern?

Is this a permanent display or just for the pic?

bombs away

Rich, Andrew,

Thank you for your kind comments about the display.

Your description about the equipment is 100% correct Andrew. It's good to hear from members who also care about these other parts of the airmen's gear.

Andrew said:
Very good, what kind of boots is he wearing, '40 pattern?
Is this a permanent display or just for the pic?

On this display the mannequin wears patt.43 boots (escape boots) :

4089286065_4fa8cda74b_b.jpg

Unfortunately all my displays go back to the attic once the pictures are made.
Not enough place in the house to have my own war room. :evil:
Marcel knows he's a lucky guy ! :mrgreen:

Tim.

Andrew

bombs away said:
Unfortunately all my displays go back to the attic once the pictures are made.
Not enough place in the house to have my own war room. :evil:

Tim.

I suspected so. Bit of a shame, but your Mate would probably give you a fright if you caught a glimpse of him in the dark...

Cliff

I don't often comment on other peoples jackets as I don't often feel qualified to do so but I am very envious of your new purchase. That looks a really nice Irvin with a good patina and a lovely coloured fleece. Enjoy wearing it.

Regards
Cliff

dujardin

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss
Tim, if you want; you may send me your complete manniquins and i will take care of your museum in my home ;)

your jacket is great.
if a day i decide to place money on a RAF jacket, it will be one of the coastal command.

congrats with your splendid collection

i really need to take time to visit you and family.

friendship from not so long (after all)

byeeeeee marcel