• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multi-piece Felt VF-17 Jolly Rogers Squadron Patch

a2jacketpatches

I made a few of these out of some old period felt I picked up over the years. Old school banners etc. Can't say that there's an actual example of a period piece made this way, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no rules in this bus. Looks pretty cool and a new twist to my normal approach. Thanks to the guy that ordered it, I enjoyed trying something new. BTW, not trying to push a sale, just showing, that's why it's in Jacket Art / Patches.

TankBuster

First, let me say, great looking patch! Nice work!

Second, the following is not referring to this patch or the person that ordered it.

but I just was thinking.... I wonder how many guys "Special Order" patches from you made in particular ways, and then they get added to groups, or jackets and sold as original? Patches like this, made with old felt material could be used in such a way pretty easy.

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
First, let me say, great looking patch! Nice work!

Second, the following is not referring to this patch or the person that ordered it.

but I just was thinking.... I wonder how many guys "Special Order" patches from you made in particular ways, and then they get added to groups, or jackets and sold as original? Patches like this, made with old felt material could be used in such a way pretty easy.

I bought a German M42 camouflage helmet right out of a basement and sold it to a guy right away for dirt cheap because I had no idea what it was worth. Saw the guy a week later and there was the helmet sitting on a coat tree, it grew barbed wire wrapped around the rivets as a foliage rack or whatever you might call it. I sold it to him for double what I paid, a hundred bucks. He soon sold the helmet and I got word of it that it went for over 1200-

Again in my earlier days, I found a USN dark blue Deck jacket with some kind of waterproof material within the cloth liner. Not sure exactly what it was but it crackled when it was moved. I sold it to a well known and trusted dealer on the East coast for 80 bucks. A few months later I saw it on his Ebay site at 1500- and climbing. It grew a squadron patch and some family, A flight helmet along with a bunch of other small doodads.

So I'm guessing it happens quite a bit, things being added to a grouping. But just as I was ignorant to the fact that I was selling things at a fraction of value. Anyone buying and believing this patch as actually an authentic part of a grouping doesn't know much about Navy Squadron Patches. That goes for any other individual item. Personally, I've only purchased one repop patch in error. It was from the German Helmet guy, a 531st BS in light blue and gray was used for the odd looking Donald Duck white portions. I bought from a dealer and didn't research the patch. If I did, I would have seen a fairly common and typical construction method with no other variations of the patch. The real 531st is a darker blue with nicely and accurately rendered Donald Duck.

"Pretty easy" for sure, these guys are everywhere and I fell victim many more times than mentioned here. But These days I'm a little more aware of where I spend my money. And I buy from estates etc. where I don't worry about fakes. If buying from dealers, educate yourself, books, internet searches, get to know your collectibles before you buy.

I am in the process of carving out a Chop ( Chinese Stamp ) of my name in Pre-1947 Mandarin considering most of my patches are repops of CBI stuff. I'll be putting this stamp on the back of all my patches. Also, I keep an archive of all the patches I made.

Check out this guy and his line of BS. He's actually fooling some rookies out there because I just spoke with one of his victims recently.
The guy said " well it's got all the official stamps on it "
Two of the best books on the subject costs less than this one outrageously ridiculous fake patch.

a2jacketpatches

Have to wonder how many guys screwed themselves out of a lot of money collecting USMC Squadrons because they didn't buy this forty dollar book, It's got all the variations and explains in detail the construction of all squadron patches. Like the USN, The Marine Corps was very strict and few patches were theater made.

TankBuster

Great idea on the chop stamp! That is pretty neat.

I agree 100%! Being informed before pulling the trigger on anything is very important. Sadly I see tons of repro patches sold as original on eBay for good money. I have to admit that some of these newer reproduction patches can be executed extremely well. Just gotta do the homework!

shedonwanna

One of my 388th BG patches sold on eBay for almost $400. After the sale I found the buyer through the feedback and let him know it was a reproduction and that all the ink/sharpie scratch marks on the back were used to cover up my signiture and date. After he returned it the seller relisted on another site where it sold for $250 and I could not contact the buyer.

The Millstein book is one of my favorite references. Jeff details everything about a patch and including some variations in construction, where the patches were made/offered and often who designed it. He also includes images along with period photographs. I bought my copy from Jeff who was extremely friendly and helpful. This book is in my "top five" list of references for wwii era patches.

a2jacketpatches

shedonwanna said:
One of my 388th BG patches sold on eBay for almost $400. After the sale I found the buyer through the feedback and let him know it was a reproduction and that all the ink/sharpie scratch marks on the back were used to cover up my signiture and date. After he returned it the seller relisted on another site where it sold for $250 and I could not contact the buyer.

The Millstein book is one of my favorite references. Jeff details everything about a patch and including some variations in construction, where the patches were made/offered and often who designed it. He also includes images along with period photographs. I bought my copy from Jeff who was extremely friendly and helpful. This book is in my "top five" list of references for wwii era patches.

Millstein? I must have missed something. Please inform me of title and anything else I need to buy it today. Much appreciated

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
shedonwanna said:

Millstein? I must have missed something. Please inform me of title and anything else I need to buy it today. Much appreciated

Jeff Millstein is the author of the book you posted - US Marine Corps Aviation Unit Insignia, 1941-1946. He was in the marine corps and worked for a publishing company. All good experience for bringing us this book.

EMBLEMHUNTER

a2jacketpatches said:
Have to wonder how many guys screwed themselves out of a lot of money collecting USMC Squadrons because they didn't buy this forty dollar book, It's got all the variations and explains in detail the construction of all squadron patches. Like the USN, The Marine Corps was very strict and few patches were theater made.

I have this book , it's a GREAT reference to the real deal patches and how they were made, great for artist too , you can't go wrong getting that one for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The felt Jolly Rogers patch looks great , a little shading if possible on the skull and the bones would have also looked cool , just a suggestion ..................................