• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Morgan" Irvin

tda003

I just noticed an Irvin type flight jacket up for sale in the UK. The jacket is listed as "Morgan Leather Shearling Flying Jacket". Many pictures including a man at the wheel of a Morgan. Shearling is white and it has pockets, but the buckles and zipped sleeves are present. Its unique feature is a Morgan logo on green leather inset patch on the left chest. I have been unable to copy pictures so far and didn't want to post the listing here as I don't know the rules and don't wish to offend (by accident!:D) anyone here. The makers label is the Morgan label so I can't tell who actually made it other than it was made in the UK. Size is UK 40 for any Morgan driving, repro loving members.;)

Smithy

Morgan have had made various iterations of Irvin "inspired" sheepskin jackets over the years, and in fact they've been used pretty extensively in their print advertising especially back in the 80s and 90s. Not terribly surprising with the classic British sportscar scene in the UK as it's de rigueur if you're driving a convertible classic British sportscar you should be wearing an "Irvin style" flying jacket. It's the reason why Irvin trademark holders Aviation Leathercraft advertise probably more to the classic car crowd in the UK than they do to the historic aviation crowd.

MikeyB-17

There are far more open top sportscar drivers wearing Irvin type jackets than there are silly sods like us who care about details, like whether or not they have pockets. Guys like that just want a nice warm jacket for the Morgan or MG, and given the choice of pockets or no pockets, they’re quite happy to have them. They don’t give a monkey’s what the RAF issued during the war, or whether they’re accurate.
Doubt you’d offend anyone by posting it, but I doubt you’d be knocked over in the rush either.

tda003

It's a nice looking jacket, but one could spot from a pretty far distance that it's not the genuine article even if the pockets weren't visible and a scarf covered the logo. I owned two MG's, a TD & a TF. I wore ski parkas in the winter (and skis in a rack and mounted a surf board in the summer (no jacket) in the SF bay area depending on going East skiing or West surfing. Never heard of Itvin, B-3, A-2 or that my Dad's jacket was an M-422A.