• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch rebirth?

johnwayne

Not sure if this has come up here before but check this out monarch-milwaukee.com!
Seems a French company have somehow got the name and using the original style label to turn out some 'hybrid' style jackets - a mix of leather and nylon!
Some interesting jackets, particularly the MH-15 (with 5th AF chest patch) and MF-1 but somehow cant see many rushing out for a B-28!!
Cheers
Wayne

ButteMT61

Wow, I see at least 8 jackets there that I could live with - but I reckon the pricing will be out of this world...
Thanks for posting that. I've shared it now in at least two places.

johnwayne

The MH-15 is about £500 I believe, whatever that is in $ or €'s? Acquired taste I guess!
Cheers
Wayne

STEVE S.

some of the buffalo hide stuff looks good. not sure about the leather/puffy quilted nylon combos. seems like an odd combination to me.

Atticus

My girlfriend's family is from Milwaukee. We were looking at some old family photos from the early 'sixties when I spotted her uncle wearing a B-15C. I asked Jackie's mom about it because I knew the uncle was much too young to have been in the Korean Conflict. Turns out Jackie's grandmother worked at the Monarch factory and was able to buy "factory seconds" of almost everything they made...including Uncle Jarome's B-15C.

AF

Stony

Hard to understand why this site only gets about 20 posts a day isn't it?

That has nothing to do with it. SS and I are just expressing our honest opinion about the Monarch products, nothing more. If you like what you see, I have no problem with that at all.

These forums have a lot of purists and these jackets are not in that genre.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers with my comments.

SuinBruin

ButteMT61 said:
Stony said:
I agree with Silver Surfer, junk indeed.

Butte, the volume of traffic on this site is utterly unrelated to the fact that someone has appropriated the Monarch brand to hawk some hideously awful jackets.

Or, put another way: I prefer a forum where honest input and feedback is allowed and encouraged even if it's not the most popular site on the web. I imagine there are lots of posts every day at the hat place, but the fact that that forum is moderated with a heavy (and nakedly biased) hand means I won't spend much if any time there.

Otter

The disappearance of the thread criticising Thruston was pretty blatant. And not the first time it has happened either. :?

colekwok

SuinBruin said:
ButteMT61 said:
Stony said:
I agree with Silver Surfer, junk indeed.

Butte, the volume of traffic on this site is utterly unrelated to the fact that someone has appropriated the Monarch brand to hawk some hideously awful jackets.

Or, put another way: I prefer a forum where honest input and feedback is allowed and encouraged even if it's not the most popular site on the web. I imagine there are lots of posts every day at the hat place, but the fact that that forum is moderated with a heavy (and nakedly biased) hand means I won't spend much if any time there.

So true. As for the hat forum, since they introduced the genre of "Sponsoring Affiliate", it has lost it status as a 'reference site'.

Stony

I stopped going to the hat forum a long time ago mainly because it covers a wide variety of subjects, most of which I am not interested in. I also stopped going there because the moderators were a...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......for lack of a term, a bit too quick on the trigger if anyone expressed their honest opinion. :eek: Here, as long as you're not being really stupid, you can express yourself. :D

Peter Graham

I tried the hat place a few times. Didn't really do it for me. As for the Monarch site, Scott, I have perused it several times and come to the conclusion that someone has taken an outdoor wear catalogue and a flight jacket book, cut up a load of the pictures and stuck them back together with their eyes closed, then snorted a big line of coke and made up a price.

Skyhawk

Peter Graham said:
I tried the hat place a few times. Didn't really do it for me. As for the Monarch site, Scott, I have perused it several times and come to the conclusion that someone has taken an outdoor wear catalogue and a flight jacket book, cut up a load of the pictures and stuck them back together with their eyes closed, then snorted a big line of coke and made up a price.

too funny :lol:

Too bad someone with historical respect and some sense of marketability of such, didn't get the rains of that company. Could have been a great thing.

johnwayne

Something which occurred to me when I first discovered the site (via a UK mens monthly called FHM, oddly purchased in place of GQ which I normally buy) was if it might prevent any of our familiar repro makers from using the name on their versions?
The fact this French operation are citing the history etc., one can only assume they've bought the name - who knows? But I'm thinking Aero/Acme (now obviously sorted) I Spiewak/I Chapman etc!!
Re the jackets they are producing then it's subjective and maybe if I was a fashion conscious 20/30 something with more money than sense then the styles might have some appeal, possibly moreso if I had no knowledge of the real thing which is what drew my attention to the article when I picked up on the 5th AF logo.
Cheers
Wayne

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:

Peter, my impressions of the Monarch site were similar to those of Mister Freedom:

watchmanjimg said:
These are very interesting and look beautifully made. The "Sea Hunt" jacket in particular intrigues me with its wildly improbable combination of features borrowed from numerous original military designs--it's almost as if it was assembled by someone on LSD!

Regarding the Fedora Lounge, let it suffice to say that it's headed in a different direction than I am with regard to the prevailing tastes and opinions expressed by the majority. There are some interesting tidbits among all the BS and misinformation, but for the most part I don't bother with it. I don't have a particular dislike of the site--it's just not worth spending much time on.