• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

monarch on the bay

Silver Surfer

to bad about the collar, but its a monarch, and brother, they are rare. ebay item# 190378855233 because most ebayers do not know what it is, i might go for a low ball price.

Peter Graham

Silver Surfer said:
to bad about the collar, but its a monarch, and brother, they are rare. ebay item# 190378855233 because most ebayers do not know what it is, i might go for a low ball price.
Good plan, but you've just flagged it up and advertised your intentions on the only forum in the world that will attract more attention to the jacket. :?

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean Peter: if I see something I want on eBay then here is the last place I'd advertise the fact. I know there are people on here with deeper pockets than my own !
There's no need to make the odds worse than they already are .

I suspect that's why JC's lovely WW2 G-1 that sold on ebay last night didn't get posted on here..... Others think like we do :)

Dave

Tim P

I think once youve called a jacket on here the deep pockets seem to stay closed by and large. I certainly see others claims as a 'hands off' once an intention to bid is expressed. If a jacket is posted here for open season and I want it for myself I will bid/BIN. Conversely i often post good spots here.

PADDY_M

On the whole, there's often a gentlemen's 'unsaid' agreement that if something is posted 'on here' like that, then folk do tend to keep hand's off (if the member who posted the auction is wanting to buy it).

Silver Surfer

allow me to reiterate: i am not going to bid on the jac. my intention was to bring to attention that it is on the bay, and would make a welcome addition to many collections. the bay is viewed by hundreds of thousands , and there are no secrets. however, every now and again, one slips by because lack of knowledge, or a misread of what it is. best of luck to all interested vlj members.

A

Anonymous

Hey Surfer, no-one's having a pop at ya.

You're unselfish, that's cool. I am too - on items I don't want ! :D But alas I know from bitter experience that whilst the main forum members who participate regularly are good, honourable guys, I also know a lot of lurkers on here won't behave in such a gentlemanlike manner. This forum has over 1000 member and yet only 20-30 post on here with any frequency. I know those whom I know would never cross me but the other 970 .......... ? They don't know me and could probably care less if they are after the same item as me. I don't have a problem with competition but I like to get the odds as much in my favour as possible and telling 30 guys I'm bidding and therefore knowing they won't bid against me isn't balanced by the other 970 now also knowing about the item I'm after.

That was , I think, the original point.

No offence meant !

Dave

CBI

I think its great for people to flag things they have seen. We are supposed to be helping each other out. There seems to be enough for everyone.

A

Anonymous

CBI said:
I think its great for people to flag things they have seen. We are supposed to be helping each other out. There seems to be enough for everyone.

I couldn't agree more !!

That's why you'll see that I often flag things up :)

Dave

USMC_GAU-21

I also think when we flag stuff, folks look at it, and some of the more experienced collectors here can give us recommendations as to if we should have a go at it.

Or, stay away it has problems. That's why I like the forum, and that's why I like when members post eBay stuff, as there is no way to see "everything" on the 'bay, especially on eBay UK etc...

MHO...Dan

Peter Graham

Since I stirred this up, I'd better comment. I don't flag up ebay listings unless it's for joke value or a piece of junk that the unwary might be taken in by, like most B-15's on ebay. The reason for this is that about a year ago I was watching a badly listed A-2. It had little interest until a "helpful" member posted it here. The bidding then went through the roof. In my opinion, if you spot anything interesting, keep it to yourself. Even if your not interested you can bet someone else on the forum is, and their heart will sink when they see your post. That's just my opinion and I know that many a crook has been unmasked here during discussions but unless it's an odvious scam I don't post it.

sixties.nut

I just went to the trouble of looking up that auction as I never trade on ebay. That piece of junk went for over a thousand bucks.

Tell me, for god's sakes that no one here would be stupid enough to pay that freight. You gotta love ebay, it brings out the moron's every time!

good grief.

Silver Surfer

$1026.95. go figure?????? $600-$700 would be fair value, i reckon. due to my posting? doubt it. a case of ebay fever is more like it.