• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missed Opportunity

Maverickson

This auction almost slipped unnoticed by me http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0365864828. I had been looking forward to seeing this same jacket listed on greed BAY as this jackets importance to me should abundantly illustrate that in general there truely is value in vintage USN jackets and memorabilia. More over this auction should help me illustrate to my wife that there might be a method to my madness. I can say that I was lucky enough to have attended this same estate sale in which this jacket was originally sourced. I was the tenth individual in the door and the fellow directly in front of me pulled the tag which clinched the sale of this jacket to him. The cost of this jacket at the sale for this estate sale buyer was $265.00.

I had originally planed to attend this estate sale to view the Remington Rand 45 acp which was one of the advertised or featured items to this sale. The flight jacket was one of the items not advertised. This gun sold for $1,200.00 and was obviously a veterans issued side arm during the war. However, there was not paper work or documentation present to that effect which would have made the difference to me as whether to have purchased the gun or not.

Some of the other interesting clothing and or memorabilia present at this sale was a AN-6551 summer weight jacket. I looked at the jacket and did not at first recognize the jacket as an issued flight jacket at all. This jacket resembled the M-421 but I was confused by the four pockets and did not recognize the maker on the label. Later on that week I acquired John Chapman's flight jacket CD which made it clear that I had in fact been looking at a virtually unused size 40 An-6551 flight jacket. Among the other things I witnessed was that the man's flight logs http://cgi.ebay.com/World-War-II-Aviato ... 240%3A1318 went for a song.

As it went the only things I came away with was this fellows unused Ray Ban sunglasses and a CBI patch. In the future I am sure that these other items will be sold through eBay. The surprise to me was that these folks obviously had children and that they had let these items go. As by the time I finish putting my father's duplicate flight jacket back as per the original and source his original duplicate patches I will have as much if not more money in my Father's duplicate jacket than this featured jacket fetched.

TankBuster

WOW! $265 to $2,400! That is some serious profit. It was a fantastic grouping.
A fighter pilots jacket with all the paperwork and pictures is pretty rare. Hopefully
the guy that won the jacket, ends up with the flight logs.

Andrew

Now the Seller has enough to buy himself a new birdy.

I'm a little confused- what kind of auction was this? Weren't you able to bid for it too Mav?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
I'm a little confused- what kind of auction was this? Weren't you able to bid for it too Mav?

I guess Dave could have bid, Andrew ... but after just missing the grouping at $265.00, he was probably disinclined to try topping $2,351.00.

TankBuster

Some estate sales are 1st come 1st serve. They have set prices on many items, but then
auction off some others that the family thinks has the most value.
I've only been to a couple estate sales, but one of them was run this same way.

bazelot

I was looking at the auction as well. Amazing grouping. Too bad everything is scattered all over the place now. I went to only 2 estate sales from former Navy pilots and go every single thing that was available. Once I got the M-421A jacket, M422A jacket, holster, uniforms, shirts and flight suit from the same Marine pilot. Sad though that the family is willing to part with this.

jacketimp

bazelot said:
. Sad though that the family is willing to part with this.

maybe they need to put food on the table?

how does it feel to be a collector........a collector i know call himself deprecatingly a vulture........i adviced him to be gentler with himself

he answered me......neh my boy that's waht collectos do.........pick 'em pieces off carcasses........

if the families are not willing to part what will collectors collect?

bazelot

We ARE all vultures. I actually stopped going to estate sales because it would actually make me sick. A lifetime gone in one day and people scavenging other people's belongings. I even saw fights breaking up at estate sales. The last one clinched it for me.
It made me feel dirty to go through those old people's belongings, trying to understand what kind of life they had and seeing a lifelong accumulation of belongings gone in one day. It's really sad when you think about it.

jacketimp

bazelot said:
We ARE all vultures. I actually stopped going to estate sales because it would actually make me sick. A lifetime gone in one day and people scavenging other people's belongings. I even saw fights breaking up at estate sales. The last one clinched it for me.
It made me feel dirty to go through those old people's belongings, trying to understand what kind of life they had and seeing a lifelong accumulation of belongings gone in one day. It's really sad when you think about it.

another collector told me.........cos it was a reallly BIG grouping from cradle to coffin......

waht kind of attitude prevails that you want to collect a man's militaria life........

i pointed out to him at least we're honouring the memories of the vet and keeping it intact even if the next of kin couldn't give a toss........

maybe collectors were in their past lives vultures.......... :(

joeson

To most people,old clothes are old clothes.What they represent and the history contained within them are of no importance to the majority.A picture or memory of a loved one seems to hold so much more value.Therefore,if some 'fool' is prepared to spend a large amount of money on dad's rotten old jacket,let them have it.Any money will probably be spent at Gap or American apparel,with enough left over for ice cream for the kids and ,everyone will be happy.
I don't think there is any right or wrong,with regard to selling stuff.If you are the owner,it is yours to do with as you will.
As a collector,if I am paying the price asked,I am not doing anything wrong.If I decide to move something on and get more than I paid for it,lucky me.

jacketimp

joeson said:
To most people,old clothes are old clothes.What they represent and the history contained within them are of no importance to the majority.A picture or memory of a loved one seems to hold so much more value.Therefore,if some 'fool' is prepared to spend a large amount of money on dad's rotten old jacket,let them have it.Any money will probably be spent at Gap or American apparel,with enough left over for ice cream for the kids and ,everyone will be happy.
I don't think there is any right or wrong,with regard to selling stuff.If you are the owner,it is yours to do with as you will.
As a collector,if I am paying the price asked,I am not doing anything wrong.If I decide to move something on and get more than I paid for it,lucky me.

good good.......no guilt trips......

suits me just fine.........

conscience holds me back........

i'm one without conscience......

Maverickson

deeb7 said:
Leadsky said:
What I meant was why didn't he bid at the estate auction?

It was a local estate sale, Andrew ... marked prices.

Wow, did you see the final price on the Flight Log :oops: ? I had looked though this book http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0298767959 and put it back because I was disgusted with the children as they did not keepsake this book. I believe it sold for less than $5.00.

Cheers, Dave