• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint M445 jacket just off Ebay

bazelot

What do you guys think? It looks like this one may be mint. I got the whole lot for a pretty good price.

36e6_1.jpg

36ce_1.jpg

35fb_1.jpg

35c9_1.jpg

3709_1.jpg

3637_1.jpg

378f_1.jpg

377b_1.jpg

374e_1.jpg

372a_1.jpg

37d0_1.jpg

37b4_1.jpg

bazelot

Roughwear said:
Great find. Very nice. Please post pics when they arrive. I hope the shearling in robust.

i hope so to Andrew. Before I bought the lot I asked the woman to tell me about the condition of the leather.
Here is the answer:

"I will do my best to describe the overall condition of the leather. It is not fragile and it does not crack when you pinch it. It is pliable in that you can grab hand fulls of the fabric and it will easily squeeze. It is not hard, yet some areas are a little stiffer than others. Even the stiff areas, though, are pliable and do not crack. There are some small, fine cracks here and there, but when you squeeze that area of leather, no other cracking occurs. For as old as the leather is, I would consider it to be in very good condition."

bazelot

Roughwear said:
Do you hope to wear the M445A jacket or keep if for display?

Probably both. I have never seen a M445 that could actually be worn so I remain skeptical until I get it :)
It does sound promising though.

bazelot

zoomer said:
Is that the M-446 trouser that came with the jacket?

that's correct. In mint condition (except for a snag in the leather that you can see on the pic).

shanghai joe

bazelot said:
Roughwear said:
Great find. Very nice. Please post pics when they arrive. I hope the shearling in robust.

i hope so to Andrew. Before I bought the lot I asked the woman to tell me about the condition of the leather.
Here is the answer:

"I will do my best to describe the overall condition of the leather. It is not fragile and it does not crack when you pinch it. It is pliable in that you can grab hand fulls of the fabric and it will easily squeeze. It is not hard, yet some areas are a little stiffer than others. Even the stiff areas, though, are pliable and do not crack. There are some small, fine cracks here and there, but when you squeeze that area of leather, no other cracking occurs. For as old as the leather is, I would consider it to be in very good condition."

lady sounds very articulate:

pinch..........grab........squeeze...........not hard............stiff......stiffer..........cracks.........very good......... :eek:

:evil: :twisted:

dujardin

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i'm dead.....

splendid Bazelot.
this year it's finished for me to buy important items due to my move grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
but i will get my ''revenge''.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

bazelot

shanghai joe said:
bazelot said:
Roughwear said:

Here is the answer:

lady sounds very articulate:

pinch..........grab........squeeze...........not hard............stiff......stiffer..........cracks.........very good......... :eek:

:evil: :twisted:

That is actually funny, maybe i should mention it to her :)

bazelot

Just got the whole set. The jacket is mint. I have never seen a shearling jacket in such condition before. I won't wear it though as I would be too afraid to damage it. It is after all 60 year old shearling. I will post ppics tonight or tomorrow.
Would Pecard help to make the shearling softer? It is not stiff but you can tell that it is alittle less pliable than when brand new. I am afraid that Pecard would be useless as there is a thick coat of varnish.
Pants are also in amazing shape with a couple of snags.

A

Anonymous

bazelot said:
Just got the whole set. The jacket is mint. I have never seen a shearling jacket in such condition before. I won't wear it though as I would be too afraid to damage it. It is after all 60 year old shearling. I will post ppics tonight or tomorrow.
Would Pecard help to make the shearling softer? It is not stiff but you can tell that it is alittle less pliable than when brand new. I am afraid that Pecard would be useless as there is a thick coat of varnish.
Pants are also in amazing shape with a couple of snags.

leatherique (or similar) spray applied from the 'fur' side.

regius

Bazelot

Any luck with preserving the sheepskin?

I appreciate the value of applying conditioner from the rough side for normal leather, but applying Leatherique oil on the fleece is just beyond comprehension...

bazelot

regius said:
Bazelot

Any luck with preserving the sheepskin?

I appreciate the value of applying conditioner from the rough side for normal leather, but applying Leatherique oil on the fleece is just beyond comprehension...

No, when sheepskin is gone, it is GONE :), Shearling does not age well. I bought probably around 40 of them over the years and only 2-3 could be worn. I still have one that is truly outstanding and I wear it occasionally but as a rule shearling is very fragile after 70 years of storage and nothing can bring a bad one back to life. The main issue being the waterproofing lacquer on the shearling, you can put as must oil on it as you want it will never go through the waterproof coating.

Skyhawk

Agreed. Same experience here. Too fragile to wear and sketchy to ship. I had a beautiful Monarch M-445.
Sold it and shipped it from the US to Europe. The European Customs opened it and then tried to cram it back in the box and destroyed it. Cracks and holes all over. If your gonna wear it you better go repro on the shearlings.