• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miltary Watches from the 1930s

aerob6girl

Hey everyone,

Once again it has been far too long! I hate to say that I've been gone for yet another year but here I am again and hopefully this time to stay. It's been pretty quiet on the collecting front for me since the economy etc hasn't really yielded well to spending as I used to. However, I did recently pick up a nice find with some interesting background. It's a 1930's Harman Military watch.
004.jpg
I wanted to find a unique watch that was from the period but similar in style to IWC's Vintage 1936 Pilot Hand-Wound http://www.thewatchquote.com/IWC-Vi...ci-Automatic-Portofino-Hand-Wound-No_6358.htm

Being as though the IWC model retails for around $8 - 10k as well as the fact that I'd rather have a real piece of history - I went with the little known Harman. What's further interesting about the watch is it's hand painted radium dial. Now, I owned a radium dial watch when I was younger and never really wore it, but apparently there's much debate as to just how safe a watch like this is to wear daily. The debates go from "don't do it! you're wearing a radioactive item!" to "Unless ingested, it's not any worse than second hand smoke or any other naturally unavoidable environmentally yielded hazards."

Do any of you own any radium dial watches from the period or have experience in this debate? It would be interesting to see the different viewpoints. As always, good to be back and I look forward to regularly posting again! Hope everyone is doing excellent.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
aerob6girl said:
Do any of you own any radium dial watches from the period or have experience in this debate?

Nice to see you back here, b6girl. :)

Yes, I have worn one on a daily basis for years ... I figure that the radium is pretty much expired by now.

aerob6girl

Hey Peter! I sure do. That and the G-1 and M445a. I'm actually getting ready to move back to MD in September so I can retreat them again and just generally get out of the city craziness. I missed this forum terribly, I got out of it due to being totally bogged down with work and have made a resolution to keep up with it again :) Any new finds on your end?

greyhound52

aerob6girl said:
Hey Peter! I sure do. That and the G-1 and M445a. I'm actually getting ready to move back to MD in September so I can retreat them again and just generally get out of the city craziness. I missed this forum terribly, I got out of it due to being totally bogged down with work and have made a resolution to keep up with it again :) Any new finds on your end?

Good to have you back and work is no excuse for not posting ;) What part of MD you moving too? I grew up in Baltimore.

aerob6girl

I went to high school outside of Baltimore in Howard County. Loved it there. Heading to the Eastern Shore, about 30 min from Ocean City. I was there before I moved to NY. As much I love NY, with the economy and how things are it'll be better for me to be in a quieter, less stressful place. And yes work is NO excuse! I was working in the financial industry on Wall St. so I got all wrapped up in that. Good to be out of it, finally.

aerob6girl

Awww, thanks guys. Here I was thinking another lady may have shown her love for all things flight jacket and vintage WW2. :) It surely is good to be back!

greyhound52

aerob6girl said:
I went to high school outside of Baltimore in Howard County. Loved it there. Heading to the Eastern Shore, about 30 min from Ocean City. I was there before I moved to NY. As much I love NY, with the economy and how things are it'll be better for me to be in a quieter, less stressful place. And yes work is NO excuse! I was working in the financial industry on Wall St. so I got all wrapped up in that. Good to be out of it, finally.

Went to school outside of Perry Hall in Baltimore County. Ocean City is nice been there many times. You will really like it there less stress for sure.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
aerob6girl said:
Here I was thinking another lady may have shown her love for all things flight jacket and vintage WW2. :)

Well nearly, by coincidence the two registrations before yours were Diana, and decodiva.

Great avatar BTW. :cool: