• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mighty 8th museum

tgd31968

I had a chance to spend 4 hours at the Mighty 8th AF museum in poole, GA.

It was great, with way too much stuff to absorb in such a short time.

I found a few technical errors, which surprised me. Attached is a pic. anyone see a problem?

navyjacket.jpg

label.jpg

tgd31968

Good Wear Fan said:
Nice A-2 :roll:
The fact that they got it wrong is amusing, but the people who will try to come up with some official reason why an AAF flier had a navy jacket will be equally amusing. Guys in combat zones trade clothes and equipment all the time just to have something different. Besides, how many jackets were so elaboratly painted until after the war or at least until after their tour ended? Who knows where he got it.

Mac

Hey, that's just field-modified! He took it to his local tailor and had mouton, an action back, and dual weave knits added. Back then you could get all those changes on the cheap. :lol:

Mac

MikeyB-17

In the words of Tom Jones, it's not unusual. I've seen Navy jackets in AAF displays in more than one museum-there was a 60's G-1, paperclip zip n'all, in one of the WWII D-day museums in Normandy, and another Navy jacket in the 8thAAF display at Hendon. Even museums don't seem to be able to get it right a lot of the time-unless they're AN-J-3's/AN-6552's. According to Sweeting they were issued in 'limited numbers'-although I'd be very surprised if many museums knew about that.

Andrew

There's a story behind this and i've found some info but I can't work out all the details.

I've done a bit of study on the 34thBG through researching Rat Poison so I knew where to go to get crew details etc. From what I can see PFC Farley travelled by Sea to the UK on 1st April 1944- so wasn't part of a Ferry Crew and I suspect wasn't a member of any crew.

" (Note: Each Bomber Crew of ten men was reduced by at least one gunner for the deployment to England. This provided space on the 72 bombers for the Headquarters and Squadron personnel. The crewmembers left behind were deployed to England by ship with the bulk of the ground personnel and rejoined their crews at Mendlesham. In those cases where the 10th crewman is known and has been added to this list, an “*” will appear by the name. Also, the names, serial numbers and Squadron ID letter and crew chief for the regular aircraft of a crew has been added when known.)"

I can't find Farley's name associated with any mention of "Dukes Spook". The only listing where I can see his name is the one "Chow hound" mission 5 days before VE day. Notice the lack of Gunners- just a TG and Farley's job is an "X" which presumably mean extra to throw out the parcels;

Mission #173 May 3, 1945 43-38953 B/D 18BS Williams
Took off 0849 hours from hardstand #17.
Dropped 3 sets of Br. rations at 0959 hours from 400 feet.
Landed 1111 hours.
Williams (P)
Curtis (CP)
Moore (N)
Wraga (B)
Stoutenberger (R)
Selby (E)
Waring (TG)
Farley (X)

I have a suspicion that Farley was possibly ground crew for "Dukes Spook" and hence got a ride over Germany dropping supplies at the end when it was safe to take passengers (this was common with the RAF). A promoted CPL Farley flew back to the States as a passenger of another B-17, Bermondsey on the 24th June 1945.

Therefore it's understandable that he got hold of any old flight jacket after the War to have it painted up. Funny that they couldn't even do a simple internet search.

http://valortovictory.tripod.com/photo17/43-38972ph.htm

tgd31968

capt71 said:
tgd31968
Great museum--I visited there in October. I posted 3 shots of jackets there, one of which was the "Duke Spook" jacket. Someone id'd it as a AN-6552. Found this info:
The AN-6552 jackets were originally designed to be a joint service (Navy, Marine Corps, Army Air Corps) jacket to replace the Navy/USMC M-422A and AAC A-2. These jackets were made for only a six month period in 1943 by American Sportswear, Bogen & Tanenbaum, Monarch, Willis and Geiger, and H&L Block. While H&L Block made a good number of M-422A jackets, it is thought that they made very few AN-6552 jackets making them among the raresr of an already scarce group.
AN-6552 jackets exhibit several unique characteristics which are worth describing. First, as a joint service jacket a "USN" stencil used on M-422A and later G-1 jackets is replaced with a "US" stencil. Second, the AN-6522 series used a black painted main zipper, however, the other manufacturers typically used a nickel zip while Block chose a brass Talon (B&T used a brass Conmar). The subsequent AN-J-3a jackets look identical to the AN-6552; the only sure way to tell the difference is by the label in the neck.

So, it's very possible that AAF crewmembers could have had these jackets.

When I was at the museum they were in the middle of constructing a new B-24 exhibit room (it wasn't open yet, which was unfortunate because many B-24 vets from the 380th BG Association were there with me). Was it open when you visited and if so, how was it?

I wasn't surprised that an AAF crewman had a navy jacket. These guys traded everything. I was just surprised it was mis labled. Too simple to miss, I would think.

I didn't see a b-24 specific exibit. I saw the nose section of a b-24, but since you couldn't walk in it, seemed kinda a waste of space. They have a b-17 they are restoring in the museum now. Fill plane stripped down to the bare metal, with all the guts hanging out. Skin seems in good shape. a long way to go. I scored 19 and 16 hits in two missions in the gunnery display though. Really chewed up the FW190's. Just like the real thing except no cold, no flak, no turbulence, no 20 mm cannon shells and no fear. Guess it really wasn't like the real thing.

The museum is funny though. 99.9% WWII and then a quick oh yeah, here is a b-47 out in the garden and a tail section of a b-52 and that is it. I feel like they short change the SAC crews and cold warriors a bit. Still a great musem and a must see if you are in the area.

Terry