• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memphis Belle Movie Crew Jacket

havocpaul

These weren't actually worn or made for the movie, they were just a licensed product so not that rare. Having said that the jackets featured in the film weren't accurate at all, not sure who provided them but back then there weren't the repro makers around (ELC had only been going a few years) and the film budget for wardrobe was probably low anyhow.But then the film wasn't that accurate either! The best thing it achieved was the rare sight of a large gathering of B-17's at Duxford in 1989 ready for film work. I spent two days there photographing the aircraft being painted with nose art and then flying off on filming work.

kiltie

havocpaul said:
.But then the film wasn't that accurate either!

Now, now...
I thought the movie painted a remarkable picture of how selective extremely low temperatures and oxygen can be at high altitudes when it's necessary to show an actor's face, etc... I, for one, had no idea it worked that way.

I think the movie jackets were made by Wested Leather. Maybe they did Hanover Street, as well? At any rate, they offer an A-2 of questionable authenticity and are UK made.

coalman

These jackets both painted and unpainted was advirtised for sale through the B17 SallyB organisation back in the early 1990's.
I brought one though the front pockets are a lot smaller than the ones on the jacket for sale on evil bay, I know that our very own John Lever knows the original company who made them for the movie and supplied the SallyB as well.
I still have this jacket and still wear it at times and the leather used is very good, no problem with the cuffs either so for a jacket over 20 yrs old its a realy good one despite it being nothing like todays standards of repro's.

Marv

kiltie said:
havocpaul said:
.But then the film wasn't that accurate either!

Now, now...
I thought the movie painted a remarkable picture of how selective extremely low temperatures and oxygen can be at high altitudes when it's necessary to show an actor's face, etc... I, for one, had no idea it worked that way.

I think the movie jackets were made by Wested Leather. Maybe they did Hanover Street, as well? At any rate, they offer an A-2 of questionable authenticity and are UK made.

Yes, as far as I am aware, the A2s were supplied by Wested Leather in the UK who more famously made the Indy jackets for the Raiders films (Platon had a lot of input on Indy jacket pattern(not for the film) from what I can recall, especially what ended up being called 'Platon's pockets' which buyers could request when buying a repro) :)

Stony

These weren't actually worn or made for the movie, they were just a licensed product so not that rare. Having said that the jackets featured in the film weren't accurate at all, not sure who provided them but back then there weren't the repro makers around (ELC had only been going a few years) and the film budget for wardrobe was probably low anyhow.But then the film wasn't that accurate either! The best thing it achieved was the rare sight of a large gathering of B-17's at Duxford in 1989 ready for film work. I spent two days there photographing the aircraft being painted with nose art and then flying off on filming work.

I met Bob Morgan a couple of years before he died and I asked him about the making of "Memphis Belle". He said they flew him over to England as an advisor and that they "didn't listen to a f***ing thing I told them"!