• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McGregor-Doniger

bjoy

I have been researching a jacket purchased on eBay which has not arrived yet. If any one has any other information about it, please post.

Apparently David D. Doniger started his clothing manufacturing business in 1921. The McGregor trademark was originated in 1923 and eventually the company came to be called McGregor-Doniger in 1956. The label style for McGregor that appears on my jacket was registered in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Doniger_&_Company

The jacket is made of goatskin with a Conmar Hersey-bar-type zipper puller.

It has a wool waistband that looks like it came from a 1950's G-1 jacket. The seller made a point that the size 44 tag on it looks identical to the one in his Gordon & Ferguson M-422A.

The seller suggests the goatskin and waistband were post-war surplus (though he also thought the jacket was possibly from the late 40s or early 50s).

I am aware that David Doniger made A-2 jackets (and only used goatskin). Did he have any G-1 contracts too?

5185733865_4e795f97dd_m.jpg

5186335926_c5d9645f3f_m.jpg

5186336006_069ee1095c_m.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bjoy said:
I am aware that David Doniger made A-2 jackets (and only used goatskin). Did he have any G-1 contracts too?

No Navy contracts, but Doniger is a known maker of civilian/private purchase flight jackets. Full Gear illustrates a civilian A-2 dated 1942-1943, with a similar McGregor Sportswear label.

bjoy

Full Gear illustrates a civilian A-2 dated 1942-1943, with a similar McGregor Sportswear label.

The trademark database online is incomplete. Here is the registration for the McGregor label in 1938:

5186540706_581ec4cee8_m.jpg

Does that match what you saw in Full Gear?

The 1956 entry was just a new typeface with color information and that matches what is on my label.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bjoy said:
Does that match what you saw in Full Gear?

Yes, with the addition of REG'D under McGregor, and the word Sportswear ... and in this case the size is incorporated into the label.

Dr H

bjoy said:
I have been researching a jacket purchased on eBay which has not arrived yet. If any one has any other information about it, please post.

Apparently David D. Doniger started his clothing manufacturing business in 1921. The McGregor trademark was originated in 1923 and eventually the company came to be called McGregor-Doniger in 1956. The label style for McGregor that appears on my jacket was registered in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Doniger_&_Company

The jacket is made of goatskin with a Conmar Hersey-bar-type zipper puller.

It has a wool waistband that looks like it came from a 1950's G-1 jacket. The seller made a point that the size 44 tag on it looks identical to the one in his Gordon & Ferguson M-422A.

The seller suggests the goatskin and waistband were post-war surplus (though he also thought the jacket was possibly from the late 40s or early 50s).

The issued A-2s by Doniger were goatskin, but the private purchase/civillian examples from ca. 1942-3, illustrated in Full Gear jacket and on John Chapman's CD were in capeskin, sported a McGregor Sportswear label and had a Hersey-bar Talon.

RCSignals

The photos are small but your jacket there looks much like what Henry Winkler wore in the tv show Happy Days