• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maurer and Maurer - Combat Squadrons of the Air Force: WW2

A

Anonymous

The definitive, though sometimes erroneous Combat Squadrons of the Air Force: World War II (out of print)

Available for download (several hundred mb) from US Air Force Website, here:

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/fulltext/combat_sq_of_the_af_wwii.pdf

Description:

Maurer Maurer, ed.

A listing of the lineage and honors of 1,226 combat squadrons active between December 7,1941 and September 2,1945.Beginning with the 1st Aero Squadron, organized in 1913,the book gives official statements of lineage. Also included are data on assignments, stations, aircraft, operations, service streamers, campaign participation, decorations, and emblems.

841 pp., illustrations with insignia

Andrew

Thanks for this link Simon, last time I tried it it wasn't working so I'll DL it tonight. ;)

zoomer

Maurer Maurer is one person, not two.
Not to be confusing him with Major Major.
9488_0031.jpg

People like me will also find this Maurer work interesting:
Aviation in the U.S. Army, 1919-1939
One of few books Google Books has complete - or at least I didn't see any pages deleted.
Unlike other books that cover the period it actually discusses day-to-day operations in the AAC. They were at peace, but at war with Congress for the funding to keep flying.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Re: Maurer and Maurer - Combat Squadrons of the Air Force: W

I have the book on the Groups and have found that several of the emblems that weren't approved "Officially" until a post war date were actually made up during WW2 and worn, soo the book has some errors that need checking.
Also Have a Squadron one,not sure if Mauer did this one but it's a Great one for Squadrons emblems ! There also are many "Unofficial" types that are not shown in either book that I've found over the years of WW2 era.

better duck

Great, I downloaded it succesfully! Thanks for posting!!

Andrew

All this time later and I finally did as well!

Mac

Thanks for the links!

Mac